calcutta 201b free spool sticking

Started by scharebear, November 25, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scharebear

Looking for some ideas. My Calcutta 201b won't go into free spool after pressing down the bar unless I rock the spool back just a little bit with my thumb. Then it spins freely. I have taken it apart 2 times now and can't find anything wrong (to my eye). Any thoughts as to why it's sticking? Thanks.

alantani

if the thumb bar can be depressed all the way, then the reel has to be in free.  does the thumb bar travel all the way down?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

scharebear

It goes all the way down as far as I can tell. Nice solid click every time.

oc1

You have to rock the spool because the spiral cut pinion is sticking and not free to move as it is pulled away from the spiral cut main gear.

Maybe check to make sure the pinion moves freely on the yoke as the yoke lifts the pinion.  Sometimes the brass pinion will cut a circular groove in the plastic yoke.  It could be getting stuck in the groove.
-steve

alantani

scharebear

I am thinking you are correct about the yoke. There was a lot of little stuff in the reel that looked like tiny pieces of thread or something. Thought maybe it was old dried flaky Shimano grease but now realize it's probably bits of plastic from the yoke. I will replace and follow up with result. Thanks for the help. Don't post here too much but have learned a lot

alantani

probably what happened was that the yoke started sticking. it rides on a couple of posts.  clean those up, replace the yoke and that might fix the problem.  i hope......   :-\

scharebear

You guys had it spot on. Yoke was worn where pinion gear sits. New yoke and everything is working perfectly again. Thanks very much for the help!

alantani

just glad it worked out for you!!!!!   ;D