Diawa SG27LCA and 47 models and new drag washers ?

Started by AllenW, December 26, 2011, 04:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenW

I have one slightly used 27LCA and two brand new 47LCA line counter reels, also if all goes well, I'll be picking up two used 27LCA's and am wondering about their drags?

I will replace the washers and re lube the two used ones I'm picking up, but am wondering if the stock drags on these reels is very good or should I add the Carbonex washers to the new reels also?

I am planning on using these reels for both great lakes fishing and some walleye fishing in the smaller lakes here or the Mississippi.
tia

Al

Jimmer

I've serviced a number of daiwa LCs over the years and this line of reels ha s a few issues.  A couple of tiny drops of super glue around the clear cover on the line counter will keep it from falling off. the CF drag washers are a big improvement, but be careful about cranking down the star too tight because the pinion shaft is held in at the bottom by a vee shaped piece of sheet metal which can bend up and create problems. I usually flip this over when I service one instead of bending it straight to prevent further metal fatigue. The spool may explode if you leave wet mono to dry on it under heavy tension (like reeling in a big salmon). The AR dog and pin are very soft metal and wear quickly. A slightly loose dog may be fixed for a while with a thin shim washer on top - not underneath. Tuna's Reel troubles sells complete AR repair kits for these. An A.T. pre use service  and lube can add a lot of life span to these reels. Good luck and good fishing! - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

AllenW

Quote from: Jimmer on December 26, 2011, 05:24:42 PM
I've serviced a number of daiwa LCs over the years and this line of reels ha s a few issues.  A couple of tiny drops of super glue around the clear cover on the line counter will keep it from falling off.
The AR dog and pin are very soft metal and wear quickly. A slightly loose dog may be fixed for a while with a thin shim washer on top - not underneath. Tuna's Reel troubles sells complete AR repair kits for these. An A.T. pre use service  and lube can add a lot of life span to these reels. Good luck and good fishing! - Jimmer

While an old time fisheman, I'm fairly new to the inner workings of these reels, when you say a few drops of super glue, do you mean while the cover is still on or remove and coat?

I'm assuming the repair kit is not a improvement, just a repair?
I'm planning on running 15 and 30# test on these reels and I tend to go light on the drag settings and add a bit of thumb if needed, so hopefully I won't bend much, just wondering if the aftermarket washers are worth it with a new reel?

Jimmer

Greased carbon fiber is a worthwile upgrade on almost every reel, for the smoothness factor alone, and the small monetary investment will last forever.  To glue the cover on the LC remove the right side cover first to be sure it doesn't get glued on to the frame and put a small drop top and bottom on the clear window so you don't lose it. The AR kit is for repair, but if you service it every year or two and lube the AR pivot you may never need one. Din't look to see if there is a tutorial on a similar daiwa, but they are easy to work on and similar to the small star drag shimanos. Make sure you have a screw driver that fits the tiny screw heads around the line counter so they don't get stripped, pay attention to what length screw went where when you diss assemble, take some pics as it comes apart. If you have any problems just post away and someone here will help out -  One more thing - this reel repair and maintenance can become addicting -Thank God it's not bad for you! -Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

AllenW

One more thing - this reel repair and maintenance can become addicting -Thank God it's not bad for you! -Jimmer

Tell about it....:)

Thanks much.

Al

alantani

al, see if smoothdrag.com can match you up.  if not, measure your drags and match them up to something here. 

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!