Cheap loaner Rockfish rods

Started by pjstevko, November 29, 2020, 11:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm looking to buy a couple of cheap rockfish rods for first timers to use while fishing shrimp flies with 1lb weights off the central coast. The rods will be setup with jigmasters or level winds loaded with 50# braid....

What cheap rods do you recommend?

Pj

JoseCuervo

A Shakespear Sturdy Stik would probably do. I think they are like $25.

alantani

the next time we head down to morro bay, we should stop off and take a look at the rods that randy has for sale.  there are a bunch that would work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gfish

Yeah, Shakespeare has some good but cheap ocean rods(Wallmart).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

For sure check what Randy has, get a decent rod for what you'd pay for the junky cheap ones
Do what you can with that you have where you are

whalebreath

Muskie rods are surprisingly cheap  I've used a couple for Rockfish since forever and they're still functional.

steelfish

Quote from: Gobi King on November 30, 2020, 06:56:55 PM
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-snaggin-special-snagging-rod

Yay!!  never though a saltwater rod could cost $24 dlls retail.

some friends that have a charter fishing panga might be interested on some on some of those cheap rods for loaners and upgrade the guides as necessary.
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

PJ,

I think I gave you a rod before. How did those work out?  I have a few more, I think.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

That snaggin special looks on point for a loaner to bounce a pound with. the seat certainly isn't an alps, but still aluminum. The sturdy sticks I've seen / had were a little light for a pound and a fish, but doable. Personally I'd be happier about the metal real seat- study sticks look like plastic, not even nice graphite, and I do recall have a sturdy come loose because it had cardboard tube arbor under which had disintegrated. my 0.02, but I'd check for better used equipment. I've picked up SU rods with all Aftco rollers before for $30.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on January 16, 2021, 12:38:19 PM
..........., but I'd check for better used equipment. I've picked up SU rods with all Aftco rollers before for $30.

well, that what I have been telling my friends with charter services, its better to look for used equipment from a recognized brand that those cheapo ones, after all they always send me those used rods to strip them down and install new guides with their logo colors.
but in a small town like this one sometimes is hard to find cheap used rods in good shape.

The Baja Guy

pjstevko

What action and lines specs should I look for?

I gotta pick up one rod before our April 10th trip....

El Pescador

PJ!!!!

I'll be bringing 3 rods & reels, loaded with 50 lbs. braid for your 1st timers to use and try out.

Or, I'll just bring 3 rods- Daiwa 20-50 lbs. rated for braid, they work great.

See you on Saturday, April 10 at the dock, in the dark!!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

pjstevko

Quote from: El Pescador on March 14, 2021, 08:49:03 PM
PJ!!!!

I'll be bringing 3 rods & reels, loaded with 50 lbs. braid for your 1st timers to use and try out.

Or, I'll just bring 3 rods- Daiwa 20-50 lbs. rated for braid, they work great.

See you on Saturday, April 10 at the dock, in the dark!!!!!

Wayne
Wayne I appreciate the offer but I'd prefer to just buy a cheap rod and have a complete setup ready to go. I've got everything else my crew will need so I just need to go buy a cheap rod and I'll be set.. We'll all need sinkers but will get those at the shop when we check in..

pjstevko

I'm just gonna go to Big 5 or Walmart and pick up a cheap 7' 20-50# rated rod... This setup will only get used once or twice a year worth shrimp flies only so it doesn't need to be fancy......