Tiagra 50W A - low speed

Started by gtrfred, November 30, 2020, 10:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrfred

I have a 50W Tiagra A where the low speed wont engage.  The button presses in, but does not click and stay down.  What is the button supposed to catch/engage on?  I took the side plate off and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary.

its hard to follow on the schematic what the low speed button engages with.  any suggestions on what to look at? 

alantani

the shifter is the same as my tld 20 two speed.  try this.  add a little oil to the plunger and back off both screws about a quarter turn each and see if the shifter works then.  it might be gummed up or too tight.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gtrfred

Thanks, Alan.  i will give that a try.

The plunger goes down but it doesnt engage anything and the just comes right back up.

josa1

Because the mechanism is probably a little crusty, my suggestion would be to take the top shifter mechanism apart, clean, relube and reassemble.  To operate properly this area needs to be well serviced.  It's a little tedious but easily doable.  To see if this cleaning is necessary, you can gently remove the shield cover by removing the two screws that hold it in place.  BEING GENTLE pull the cover off and observe the degree of foreign substance that is causing the little shift capture plate to not engage properly.  Maybe you can clean it without further disassembly.  There are a few nice pictures on the 80 service tutorial that will show what you're getting into.

Besides that, it's fun to work on!

Good luck!

josa1

josa1

Another thing you might try,,,,,

Push the shift button in and then pull the black sliding plate OUT to see if it it will latch into low gear.  If it does, it is a good sign that the sliding plate just needs to be cleaned and lubed

josa1

gtrfred

Thanks to both you for the help.  I was able to get it working again.  It just need a clean out on the slide.

josa1

Good for you!

You need to service the entire reel very soon.

josa1