331N left vs right

Started by dlrider, December 01, 2020, 12:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrider

I recently acquired a 331n that was set up as left-hand retrieve (?) where the handle is on the working right side of the reel.  I cast with my right hand and would like the handle on the left side.  I had thought this was an easy switch in configuration where the oscillating arm is screwed into an attachment block to the shaft, but I found that it is a solid one-side only affair.  I'm not having luck finding the correct arm, and am wondering if there are other Quick models where that/those part/s would fit on the 331n.

foakes

Right, DL —

That part is common and the same in a 330N, 331N, 440N, & a 441N.

Here is the new correct slide to install — making the handle crank from the left side of the reel.

If you want it — $5 + $4 shipping in a padded mailer.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

dlrider

Wow that was fast.  Sorry I wasn't back so soon.  Thanks for the info and the offer.  PM sent.  No wonder I couldn't find any parts -- they're all there with you!   ;D

Any suggestion on schematic diagram for this reel?

foakes

Here you are, David —

331N Schematic & other "N's".

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

dlrider

Thanks Fred.  I thoroughly cleaned the parts and found no problems except the drag knob is cracked, but that is not yet a problem as it is solid and holding -- I'll worry about that another day.  I used your photo of the manual, cropped it to the diagrams, and printed it for reference.  That and photographs along the way.  That's how I learn a new reel.

The reel is now functioning as right hand (handle on left side).  Smooth.  The rotor is a bit out of balance but I think that is common to the brands of that time.  I haven't figured out what line I want, but it is still too cold here to fish.  Thinking maybe a 10lbs-diameter braid/superline.

Rivverrat

The 331N is a keeper. It's faster retrieve can be a blessing in some cases. For fishing 10 - 40 line they work very well. They make great reels for the new to well seasoned fisherman or woman. I will never be with out a 330N or 331N. I may not fish it as frequently as some other reels I own but it has earned a permanent spot among my other Catfish gear... Jeff

foakes

Quote from: dlrider on January 10, 2021, 06:19:07 PM
Thanks Fred.  I thoroughly cleaned the parts and found no problems except the drag knob is cracked, but that is not yet a problem as it is solid and holding -- I'll worry about that another day.  I used your photo of the manual, cropped it to the diagrams, and printed it for reference.  That and photographs along the way.  That's how I learn a new reel.

You won't have to worry about the drag knob another day, David —

Got a new one in an envelope — and addressed to go out tomorrow to Manassas, Virginia.

N/C.

Reels just gotta be right —

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

dlrider

;D  Well how about that.  Thank you very much, Fred.  I look forward to it.

Is it that older plastic shrinks (I'm thinking off-gassing some chemical) and the internal metal parts don't, so something has to give.

foakes

Quote from: dlrider on January 13, 2021, 10:11:26 PM
;D  Well how about that.  Thank you very much, Fred.  I look forward to it.

Is it that older plastic shrinks (I'm thinking off-gassing some chemical) and the internal metal parts don't, so something has to give.

No, plastic is just always the first thing to break on a reel.

Gets brittle over time, dropped, banged around, etc..

The previous series of (7) DAM Quick reels — prior to the "N" series — have painted metal drag knobs.

Knob was mailed Monday — you should get it today, or soon.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.