Rod/reel combo for Goliath Grouper

Started by zward, December 28, 2011, 01:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldtiopaco

If you plan to fish for goliath be ready for a tought fight.That kind a fishing was one of the reason because i start building my own rods.
In my opinion a Penn international 50t is ok.But the handle is too small.I use alan Handle and that make a big different.
I don't agree that any rod in the range 80-100 will be apropiate.
A longer butt will help in some moments of the fight.
Six feet o 6'3'' depending of your style and boat used will be in the ballpark,
Roller guides,wrap 3 times,large foregrip are must.
There is a few blanks in the market that are great to build that type of rod.
Also some rods builder that can build that rod for you.But went you are fighting that large fish is you you and the fish.
Even the stronger rod will break if you don't handle the fish properly.If you look at the youtube video you will see the mistake.
Good look.

zward

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a couple of Makaira 20's spooled with 100lb JB HC and 100lb mono topshot. I wasnt completely sure with rods (in MN now so cant check them out at the local tackle shop), but like the looks of the Makaria rod and have been very impressed with Okuma Muskie rods (less money and have held up better than buddies $200-300 customs), they have a lifetime warranty and have no doubt if I ever were to snap a rod or anything they'd replace it. I just got one 40-100lb rod for now, so we'll see how that works and go from there. My old man is heading down to FL in a week so hopefully he'll be able to give the new setup a proper evaluation.
Thanks again everyone for all of your feedback.
-Zane

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

I have become fascinated with Goliath Grouper and it is officially on my bucket list since I saw a brief video of a Goliath Grouper eating a shark that was being reeled to the boat.  Check this out.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y27LSPcbeB4&feature=g-vrec&context=G2eeafbaRVAAAAAAAAAA  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Awesome. Cheers for the link Dominick.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

trishul

zane have a look at the jigging master pe 8 reel  u will get al0t 0f drag 0n that and the 500gm jigging master p0werspell r0d the guys at newzeland have caught s0me giant fish they call hapuka(Polyprion oxygeneios) and bass that are similar t0 the g0liath gr0uper i think if n0t bigger using the tackle that i menti0n.

redsetta

Good call trishul - there are some hefty hapuku here in NZ.
Like this one from a kiwi charter site:

I grew up being told stories about paua divers being 'inhaled' by giant hapuku.
Can't say whether it's actually ever happened, but it made me nervous as a kid snorkeling in deep water...  ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

trishul

w0w thats a nice fish its th0se s0rt 0f st0ries that make us keep g0ing back t0 the sea
thanks

zward

Thanks for the suggestions Justin. Those are some cool fish you have down there, I have heard a little of them but not a ton. Do they also call them 'Potato Cod'? It's funny you mention that about the divers, they have the same stories on the gulf coast, none of which are confirmed of course ;)  The record for a Goliath caught on hook and line is 680lbs(309kg), but I honestly think they reach a size where they are near impossible to land with rod and reel, I'd be curious what the biggest ever speared is... Thats what I love about grouper fishing, all it is is locking down the drag, hanging on and playing tug of war.. With the new  rod/reel setup we have it'll be interesting to see where the weak link is  ;D