travel rods and reels

Started by tarpon, December 28, 2011, 04:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elnath

Quote from: tarpon on December 30, 2011, 06:17:17 PM
Elnath what line rating rod did you take?

I have the 30-60 casting.  I used it in the heavy tip configuration with an Avet JX with 80 braid/50 top shot for Halibut (this is pretty much my "normal" set up for Gulf of Maine bottom fishing), I get about 15lbs at strike and just under 20 or so max.  The heavy tip was stiff enough to handle a 16oz jig.

For the rockfish/Ling Cod I used Diawa Saltist (35H) with 50 braid/30 top shot (and the lighter tip section of the Nomads).  That reel gets about the same drag--and with this line set up about the same capacity.  Used the heavy tip for the heavy (16oz) jig heads.

For King Salmon, I used the light tip section with an Avet MX rigged with straight 30 mono--drag at 12.

Overall the combination worked out great...I wouldn't have know it was a multiple piece rod.  My only issue was that most of my rods are acid/spiral wrapped and the Nomad is conventional.  I haven't seen the components that would allow a similar custom build (at least not in my price range).

Jaime

Tarpon...Yes I did service my reel before I used it.  One thing
I forgot to mention.  If you get one of the Okuma travel rods.
You might think about getting the spinning set up.  That way
all you have to do is turn it over and it works just fine with an
conventional reel.  Rods don't know the difference.
Jaime

Jaime

Alan... Well last year there were I think three 'super cow's'
taken at the Gorda Banks.  I was fishing there in November
and the day after we left a Cow of somewhare around 365#
was taken.  That's what I call big.

tarpon

Thanks again elnath and jaime! Nice fish!!! The kind you dream of and fear when you actually hook into 1  ;D