travel rods and reels

Started by tarpon, December 28, 2011, 04:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarpon

Hi I'm new to this forum. I am looking for a good quality convectional travel rod and reel . Also a good quality spin travel rod to go with my stradic 6000. My target fish will range from dophin,wahoo,kings,tarpon to 150 #,shark,groupers,sailfish,cobia e.t.c.. I am not experienced at salt water fishing but very experienced at freshwater fishing using lighter tackle for big fish and would like to try the same thing with salt water gear. In the past I have gone on charters that used gear that was too big for intended targets. Although we caught fish it was no fun. It was button down the drags and crank in. Price range on the reel 400 to 600$ and 100 to 250$ on the rods. Rod and reel size I will leave to the experienced guys on this forum. I have been researching different forums and must say I am sooooooo confused. Originally I was looking at avets but not anymore. I have never torn down a reel for servicing and am a little hesitant. I'm leaning towards buying from Mark at charkbait because of the great things I heard about his shop. I would consider other on-line shops if members are aware of some good ones. Customer service is also important. By the way I'm not able to try these reels and rods because I live in Ontario, Canada and there are none around. Thanks in advance and happy holidays. 

Jimmer

You might want to check out the Davis rods on ebay.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

conchydong

The Okuma Nomads might be another option. It seems that they are built with quality components also.

tarpon

Thanks for the rod info how about reels?

Jimmer

Wow, you just opened a big can of worms! Makaira 20, 30 or 50 with the appropriate line?

tarpon

What about Makaira II 8 to small?

Jimmer

Never actually touched a Makaira, just read alot of good things about them here, Alan or someone else can step in here please.

conchydong

Quote from: tarpon on December 28, 2011, 05:37:29 PM
Thanks for the rod info how about reels?

I looked at the list of species you are targetting. I live in S. FL and the species look all too familiar. First, the way I see it, you do not need to fish line heavier than 30#- 40# except for maybe winching up groupers off the reefs and wrecks. You might want a reel that you can cast fairly easily to cobia, dolphin or sailfish and still be able to do some light trolling. Since you wont be targeting large tuna, 2 speeds aren't required. Nice but not really needed.
I would look at a travel rod rated for 30-60# test with a Shimano Torsa 20 or 30. I think 6 1/2' travel rod would be a good compromise for casting and light trolling. Back it with 60lb hollow spectra and leave room for topshots between 30 and 50 lbs. You can easily change the topshots for the type of fishing you intend to do. You can also pick up several drag cams for the Torsa designed for the type and line size of fishing for the day.

Just a thought.

REK

I used a "H" Escape Series G. Loomis travel rod(not the GLX, they were not out at the time)down outside Rio Colorado in Costa Rica for tarpon to 90. Very nice rod. Shimano CTE 400 filled with spectra. We did need to chase it as the tarpon was headed right at other boats. I don't know about using this rig for groupers though.

tarpon

conchydong you are right! I plan on using these setups mostly on the west coast of florida out of St. Petes beach area. Will those setups work off of a boat as well as a fishing pier?

alantani

i've got several of the okuma nomad rods and they're very nice.  i'd love to take them up to alaska.  flying is the only way for me to get there.  jim nomura broke one of the nomads and that's the only trouble i've heard.  i've had good luck with them so far.  the would match up well with the makaira reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tarpon

Thanks Alan for responding. Do you think a makaira II 8 would be big enough for the type of fishing I want to do? What okuma rod to match?

tarpon

I forget to mention most of my fishing will be live bait either free lining or casting.

tarpon

I know I'm going to drive people crazy with these questions but what about the andros ?

conchydong

Quote from: tarpon on December 29, 2011, 02:07:15 AM
conchydong you are right! I plan on using these setups mostly on the west coast of florida out of St. Petes beach area. Will those setups work off of a boat as well as a fishing pier?

Tarpon, the blue water is a long run out of St. Pete, therefore I am thinking you will be fishing mostly for nearshore species instead of Wahoo, Sailfish, Dolphin etc. Since you plan on pier fishing also, I will change the rod size to 7' (20-40#) and probably suggest one of the new Penn Torques (25 or 30). These reels will work fine on anything you will catch from a pier and have the power to stop a cobia, grouper or tarpon. These reels have lower ratio gear sets available and supposedly cast like a dream.