Modifying a 113h for kite fishing, need some input

Started by Tomfl, December 28, 2011, 09:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomfl

Penn guru's, I could use some help.

I've been using the 113H's for years specifically for kite fishing, and have bitten off the urge to update to elect-tra-mate electric conversions specifically because a mechanical reel always works and electric stuff can get finicky in saltwater environments. Just one less thing to worry about while fishing I guess.

Having said that I am at the point I'd like to make some updates to the reels to make them more user-friendly and of course add also some bling along the way if possible.

If I could mod the reels to be easier to "palm/thumb" out line with an open top, faster to crank the kites back in with a higher gear ratio, and also easier to crank them in with a larger/longer handle and a stiff frame, I'd probably never go to the electrics.

I don't need to updated the drags as the drags really don't get worked at all.

I have some questions after searching and reading the forum here.

So far I've ordered a pair of these handles, which I liked because they were larger, and the shaft is a bit longer for more torque: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220513868474?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D220513868474%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I believe what I'm after in an open-frame design is made by Tiburon. And available in red to boot. Are there any other manufacturers? How are these holding up in a saltwater environment? I'm not looking for a rack queen reel, we fish these things a couple times a week during season and corrosion protection would be a key for me.

I'm having trouble locating a high-speed gear set. Alto Mare mentioned he installed one in his 113H build, and he's getting about 50% more line recovery per crank, but I can't find in his build thread which gears he put in. Seems Accurate isn't making them anymore, and Newell isn't either? What are my choices guys if I want to go with hi-speed gears?? Are these things strong enough to hold up?

Lastly, I'd like to add a safety line to the reels in a good looking, professional manner that doesn't interfere with the operation of the reel.  Does anyone have any input for a good quality reel safety line clip? I'd need it to be an under-mount one, maybe one that comes off the reel clamp?

I have one of the "old" version and one of the "New/2" version, so if we're talking mods and they will work with only 1 version, please mention that!

Any input on the frame options, and/or gear sets/manufacturers? I'm all ears.

-T

coores14

Hey Tom, my brother (Marlinmate on this forum) is very experienced with all things Penn conventional.  You oughtta see his collection....
   anyhoo, he is currently in the process of rebuilding a 113H and I'm sure that he could help you out with ideas and what not.  He upgraded the gear ratio, put a new handle on, etc.
   I'll forward this link to him and see if i can get him to respond.

on an aside, the Daiwa Tanacom Bull is a reel that is both electric and manual.  For the longest time, I used to use an old Penn as my kite reel, but this season I introduced a Kristal electric into my arsenal.  It truly makes kite fishing a breeze (get it?...breeze?).  but seriously, I didn't think I'd like the electric that much, but I really do. 

Tomfl

Quote from: coores14 on December 28, 2011, 09:59:47 PM

Hey Tom, my brother (Marlinmate on this forum) is very experienced with all things Penn conventional.  You oughtta see his collection....
   anyhoo, he is currently in the process of rebuilding a 113H and I'm sure that he could help you out with ideas and what not.  He upgraded the gear ratio, put a new handle on, etc.
   I'll forward this link to him and see if i can get him to respond.

on an aside, the Daiwa Tanacom Bull is a reel that is both electric and manual.  For the longest time, I used to use an old Penn as my kite reel, but this season I introduced a Kristal electric into my arsenal.  It truly makes kite fishing a breeze (get it?...breeze?).  but seriously, I didn't think I'd like the electric that much, but I really do. 

Dang, you following me bro!  ;) Shot you an email earlier...

I have resisted the urge for years to go electric. Just like the "bulletproofness" of mechanical, and I guess I'm an old dog. Do want to add a tanacom to the aresenal for DDing.

Thanks for the help on the input, anything your brother might suggest would be a help.

-T

coores14

yeah, it's pretty funny how we seem to be on all of the same forums.  I guess we have the same interests.  And after our "debate", maybe our screen names pop out more to each other?

anyhoo, I've sent along this thread to my bro.  will see if he replies.

conchydong

Back in the day, the best manual kite reels were the Penn 49's. Easier to level the line on with the narrow spools.

Marlinmate

Yo

Here is what you can do to a 113H IF you can find the parts

1. Put Newell 4:1 gears or Accurate 4:1 gears in it. Stock gears are 3.25:1 - here's the dilemma which I think you have found..Neither Newell or Accurate are making those gears any longer so they are harder to find than a black bean in a black cats ####
2. Stainless Gear Sleeve and Stainless Yoke - Easy to find
3. Tiburon/Accurate/JVariance Frames - I think the Tiburons have the open top and Jvariance might also...both have websites
3.5. Aluminum Sideplates from Accurate/Jvariance
4. HT-100 Drags or Carbontex/Smoothdrags for your drags
5. Look for Strike Master Reel Clamp or Penn Part #33r-200.(some have it) or 33c-113. Both have a "loop" to clamp your snap to from your safety line.
6. Many handle options out there and looks like you found one you like.

For you application, A frame, gear set, handle and clamp is really all you would need.   Let the search begin.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

coores14

Tomfl

That's some great info there, thanks for the help man

-T