Dedicated walleye vertical jigging reel idea

Started by tincanary, December 15, 2020, 11:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Here in the Great Lakes, walleye is damn near religion for many and aside from trolling, vertical jigging is one of the better ways to get fish in the boat.  A friend of mine owns a charter service on the Detroit River and he uses Quantum baitcast reels with a flipping switch.  His reasoning, with the flipping switch engaged, he can pay out line and re-engage the clutch without having to turn the reel handle which lets him get to his desired depth easier.  He and his customers don't cast with those reels, they are strictly used for vertical jigging.  Since those reels are largely going the way of the dodo, he and I got talking about how to implement such a thing in a reel that is still in production.  I turned my attention to the newer style Ambassadeur, as they are very easy to modify and parts are easy to acquire.  As I studied schematics looking for a way, I came to the conclusion that there's a quick and dirty way I can get a similar result.  My idea is to remove the tab on the clutch arm.  When put into free spool, the tab is locked into place by the ratchet gear, and when the handle is turned to re-engage the spool, it moves the clutch arm back into position with the help of a spring.  So, say I take something like a 4600 with a thumb bar, grind off the tab, and now we can pay out line and re-engage the clutch just by actuating the thumb bar.  Sounds like a win/win to me.  He said he would be my test subject, so I'll slap something together from my parts bin between now and April when the walleye boats take back to the water.  Casting will be impossible with the reel set up in such a fashion, but it should be great for vertical jigging the tasty fellers.

happyhooker

Seems liken vertical jigging is a bit of a lost art in many areas.  It still retains some life here in Minnesota, because it's a handy technique during ice fishing season, but not used much on open water.  Too bad.  It can be real productive, and if you can catch thru the ice that way, there's no reason it won't work off the side of a boat or dock.

Frank

philaroman

Quote from: tincanary on December 15, 2020, 11:38:33 PM
...reels with a flipping switch.  His reasoning, with the flipping switch engaged, he can pay out line and re-engage the clutch without having to turn the reel handle which lets him get to his desired depth easier.  He and his customers don't cast with those reels, they are strictly used for vertical jigging.

is he also palming the reel & keeping index finger on exposed blank?
hence, the need for a proper flipping switch, that you can comfortably operate while palming

if so, might want to look into Daiwa lo-pro spool-forward discontinued models
(LEFTY, ONLY!!!  completely different reels from same-model righties)
basically designed to never leave your right palm w/ !!!BEST!!! flipping toggle on top & THAT's IT!!!
no big rear thumb release, at all (worm is behind spool -- moves arm connected to line-guide)
BONUS: you can peel off a VERY nice cast when needed, but toggle-only is irritating to cast repeatedly

TD-S & TD-X can be quite cheap...  affordable TD-Z takes luck...  later models are still pricey
TD-X & better is 1-pc metal frame (prob. not TD-S); Bass pitch/flip guys tend to go for the narrower 105 size,
so wider 103 should be a bit cheaper & adequate capacity for braid & lighter big-lake mono set-ups

oc1

I'm a little bit lost here, but why can't you just remove the anti-reverse dog or roller clutch.  Thumbing the spool while palming the reel is almost a natural thing to do.  Thumbing negates the need to disengage and re-engage the clutch all together unless you are casting.  I wouldn't have it any other way because it's less hassle, gives  you more sensitivity and lets you drop back at the first sign of a nibble.  Just grab the handle if there is a big fish pulling drag.  Or, just lock down the star drag and use your thumb as the drag.  Or, just get an ABU 2650 and simplify your life.
-steve

SteveL

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2020, 04:22:59 AM
I'm a little bit lost here, but why can't you just remove the anti-reverse dog or roller clutch.  Thumbing the spool while palming the reel is almost a natural thing to do.  Thumbing negates the need to disengage and re-engage the clutch all together unless you are casting.  I wouldn't have it any other way because it's less hassle, gives  you more sensitivity and lets you drop back at the first sign of a nibble.  Just grab the handle if there is a big fish pulling drag.  Or, just lock down the star drag and use your thumb as the drag.  Or, just get an ABU 2650 and simplify your life.
-steve

The goal isn't to go full knucklebuster or to turn the handle to set a hook.   You want to press the thumb bar to let out line (you can still thumb the spool while doing this), and immediately engage the gears and antireverse upon releasing the thumb bar (either because of a strike, or you are at the desired depth).  One hand  is all you need to drop the bait, jig and set the hook. 

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2020, 04:22:59 AM
-steve

why would you want to thumb the spool, UNLESS casting?  if you're not shaving weight for long rod swinging sessions,
why would you remove useful, beneficial mechanisms & wear out your thumb making up for their absence
for long vertical sessions, it's less precision & more hand fatigue/aches, than if your reel were 1.X ounces heavier
thumb's there for rare "touch-ups" -- otherwise, let it rest  ;D

Quote from: SteveL on December 16, 2020, 04:51:59 AM

The goal isn't to go full knucklebuster or to turn the handle to set a hook.   You want to press the thumb bar to let out line (you can still thumb the spool while doing this), and immediately engage the gears and antireverse upon releasing the thumb bar (either because of a strike, or you are at the desired depth).  One hand  is all you need to drop the bait, jig and set the hook. 

yes, but where is that one hand? 
if it's on the rear grip behind the reel, your intended mod would be great
for palming, you lose the one-handed instant response

oc1

I would have agreed with you guys a decade ago.  It's not for everyone and every situation.  It's just a different approach to line management.  Don't knock it until you've tried it.
-s

Brewcrafter

I'm hoping Tincanary posts photos when he does the mods, sounds really cool. - john

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 16, 2020, 06:16:31 AM
I would have agreed with you guys a decade ago.  It's not for everyone and every situation.  It's just a different approach to line management.  Don't knock it until you've tried it.
-s

not knocking  -- very impressed w/ your stuff...  see the general logic horizontally,
but can't imagine choosing such skeletal approach if your sole intention is to jig for walleye
of course, if you already have modified reels & can make 'em do what you want
in a different application, w/ a little "thumb grease"  ;D   why not?

steelfish

Quote from: tincanary on December 15, 2020, 11:38:33 PM
........he uses Quantum baitcast reels with a flipping switch.  His reasoning, with the flipping switch engaged, he can pay out line and re-engage the clutch without having to turn the reel handle which lets him get to his desired depth easier...

well, this wont help on your quest for the correct "mod" for the round abu reels, but remembered that my low profile penn 2-speed reel (yep, it also had the luck of the Dodo) have that "flipping" mechanism on it, one buttom to activate freespool and a thumb-bar buttom to flip the line.

I bought it 2 years ago and still havent used it or opened it up yet.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27881.0
The Baja Guy

philaroman

where's the Lever Drag?  ;D  definitely not LessIsMore school of thought
mine is more like this (mag, only -- no centrifugal):
Steve, if you can reel lefty, YOU could oc1fy it down to <5oz w/ custom palm rest;
all the stuff you like to gut is under the plastic cover behind the spool;
already-reduced 1-pc metal frame may be further "shaveable" there
later versions are more $$$ & more ported -- both, frame & spool

steelfish

Quote from: philaroman on December 16, 2020, 07:39:42 PM
where's the Lever Drag?  ;D

its a star drag 2-speed reel and low profile and with flipping bar, so, I dont have plans to open this little thing up any time soon.

The Baja Guy

hurt locker

Besides the Quantum Accurist for jigging both the Allegheny and Niagra Rivers and lake Erie, I have also used the Shimano Black Magnum BKM-100. My latest acquisition for jigging and what the catfishermen call " Bumping" is Okumas new product the Convector Low Profile CV-354D line counter with a flipping switch. It is a 300 size low profile with a superb factory drag.

Abu made the 4600 and 5600 PLUS that has a flipping switch.

SteveL

Abu Garcia also makes a low profile baitcaster with a flipping switch and digital line counter:

https://www.abugarcia.com/pages/dlc

SteveL

Quote from: happyhooker on December 16, 2020, 01:23:03 AM
Seems liken vertical jigging is a bit of a lost art in many areas.  It still retains some life here in Minnesota, because it's a handy technique during ice fishing season, but not used much on open water.  Too bad.  It can be real productive, and if you can catch thru the ice that way, there's no reason it won't work off the side of a boat or dock.

Frank

Here is is variation on vertical jigging -- power reeling: