Dam Quick 248

Started by sharkman, December 16, 2020, 03:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Just bought 248 on eBay. Anyone know anything about?

philaroman

cool: it's German & not a worm...  wonder what main gear is made of

foakes

The 248 is the largest in the mid-60's line that included the 218, 228, 238, and the 248.

It is about the size of a 330 or a 285 Finessa.

1:3 gearing, aluminum housing, pretty solid reels.

They saved a little $$$ in production costs by subbing a few parts for less expensive materials — for example, no main bearing — a long brass tube instead.  Although many of the other parts are interchangeable with other higher quality DQ reels — so 90% of the durability and quality is still there.

I have a lot of 248's, and even more 238's.

The little 238 is a very neat little reel that is very close in size to a lite or UL reel.

These came in various colors — depending on the target area as well as the distributors involved.  Greys, blacks, greens.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Fred, thank you for posting information.

oldmanjoe

I got this reel as a by catch in lot of reels .  The rotor was locked up .
    It`s a simple reel.  The only note worthy things on this reel is the screw on the right hand side to release the center tube ,so you can remove the rotor assembly .   The other note worthy thing after you remove the rotor nut and washer is that you have to hold the pinion gear and unscrew the rotor from the pinion gear .

It took a lot of soakings and heat to get the center tube to move in the pinion gear.   Once apart a good cleaning and burnishing of the pasts all is well .

It`s fairly smooth running reel in it`s simple state .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Looks great, Joe!

If you need a new A/R lever, or anything else —-  N/C.

Just let me know before I ship your other reel mañana.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.