Quantum Low Profile IAR Bearing / Ambassadeur IAR Bearing

Started by SteveL, December 19, 2020, 07:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

In searching for the original INA antireverse bearing that is used in Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs and maybe the Revo reels,  I found that DadsOleTackle and Mikes Reel Repair stock the original INA bearing.   I noticed that Mike's indicated that the same bearing is used on the Quantum Energy low profile baitcasts.  So I looked that up, and it is Quantum part number VA063-01 which is listed as being used on the following quantum lp baitcasters:

• Icon
  • Energy
  • Vapor
  • Accurist (many if not all models)

If you have Quantum part number VA063-01  laying around or have one of these reels open where you can see the IAR, please check to see if the IAR bearing is the INA bearing and what part number is on it.  

The genuine IAR bearings for the Abu's are kind of hard to find (DadsOleTackle and Mikes Reel Repair currently being the only two vendors I found), so it would be nice to know if a big supplier like Zebco/Quantum had the part readily available.

Thanks

Steve

alantani

if you can carefully press out the old one and measure it, i might have a match for you. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SteveL

Thanks, but I'm good with INA bearings right now.   Got three from DadsOleTackle several months ago and they were the real INA bearings.

I was hoping to find out if the Quantum bearings are the real INA bearings as Mike's indicated, or if they are a same size generic.  (The generics tend to run a tad smaller that the INA bearings and can be loose in the Abu sideplate.)

If the Quantum bearing is the same as the INA bearing in the Ambassadeur and Revo, then the community at large would have a stable source of hard to find Bearings.   Dad's has had them for a while, but you never know when a source will dry up.  

If no one can verify the bearing, I will eventually just order one from Quantum to find out.

Thanks for the offer.

SteveL

I found a Quantum Energy EN 101 SPT sideplate on ebay with a visible IAR bearing.  The bearing looks right but I can't make out the last digits of the number.  Part number is VA063-01  $8.52 each   

Here is the INA bearing sold by DadsOleTackle (this is what I ordered and received):
https://www.dadsoletackle.com/abu-garcia-abu-garcia-ambassadeur-press-in-instant.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm//173294422475

[EDIT 01-02-2021:  Mike's Reel Repair confirmed by email 12-31-2020 that they are not currently selling the original INA IAR bearing for Ambassadeurs, but an aftermarket HF-1008 instead

The photo on Mike's Reel Repair does not appear to show the original INA bearing, but they do offer an "ABU IAR CLUTCH BEARING EXTRACTOR / INSTALLER" for $15:

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/abu-iar-clutch-bearing-extractor-installer/

alantani

yeah, these are all standard sizes.  they will be metric.  measure the ID x HT x OD in millimeters and i can probably find a match,  they will be available only in "bearing steel" which is not stainless.  even the stainless steel is 440 series which will rust over time, but they are fortunately not that expensive.

alantani

i think i found it.  it's an HF 1008 one way roller bearing.  i have a few left.  let me know if you want one mailed out.  

SteveL

Quote from: alantani on December 20, 2020, 07:38:26 PM
i think i found it.  it's an HF 1008 one way roller bearing.  i have a few left.  let me know if you want one mailed out.  

Thanks Alan, but as I mentioned in the post above, I have 3 of the authentic INA F-223251 bearings on hand. 

I am just trying to confirm an alternative source for the bearings.  Right now the best choice for them is DadsOleTackle.  If they run out or no longer stock them, Quantum may be the best choice.

It appears that Quantum has the same INA bearing as the Ambassadeur and at least the older Revos, unless they have substituted another vendor.  The next time I need parts from Zebco/Quantum, I will order one just to verify the part.

I try to avoid the generic HF 1008 bearings as they can be loose in the Ambassadeur sideplate and may require locltite.

handi2

Tackleservice.com is my go to place for Zebco owned products. There parts don't seem to be marked up at all. Especially bearings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SteveL

Quote from: handi2 on December 20, 2020, 10:34:02 PM
Tackleservice.com is my go to place for Zebco owned products. There parts don't seem to be marked up at all. Especially bearings.

Yes,  that is the same as zebco.com and quantumfishing.com when it comes to ordering parts.   Tackleservice.com is just the easiest way to navigate their schematics, parts lists and place an order.   They have a lot of useful generic items like bearing retainer springs and spool shaft pins dirt cheap that often work on a variety of reels (other than Quantum).