How to install the Silent Dog Spring on a Penn 105 Reel

Started by middlegame, December 30, 2011, 02:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

middlegame

How does the Silent Dog Spring fit on the reel?  I think that it must interact with the Anti-Reverse Ratchet.  See the attached image or go to https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/104.pdf to see the component.  Contact John at middlegame@hotmail.com ---Thanks.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

crud!  i have never seen one of these before!  it goes underneath the ratchet.  can you remove the ratchet and take another photo?  make sure the dog is in place.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

middlegame

I will reply with more images later this evening.  John

Alto Mare

Hey John, isn't it cool that Alan guessed it without even seen one?;D
I just want to mention that it is a good idea to coat all parts with grease on these reels, they're salt magnets. I'm not really crazy about them, but I do have two on my boat for guys that don't treat my good gear with respect. They're ok though, you just need to service them more often than usual.
Here you go John, hope this helps.

The ratchet spacer has a grove and the smaller bend goes under the dog.
Any questions....just ask! Take care. Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 30, 2011, 04:47:50 PM
Hey John, isn't it cool that Alan guessed it without even seen one?;D

...I do have two on my boat for guys that don't treat my good gear with respect.

Any questions....just ask! Take care. Sal

Sal:  In case you haven't guessed Alan has x-ray vision.  I guessed it when I saw a telephone booth in his garage ;D.
Yes I have questions, why do you take persona disgrazia on your boat?  ??? Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

You're right Dominick, I shouldn't. The bad thing about it is that one of the guys is my brother.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

middlegame

Thanks to all who viewed and / or replied to my post.  I have begun to believe that the 104 was an early variant to the design of the 104CS and the 105 Penn Reels.  The Dog has extensions on it that straddle the Ratchet and does not have the Dog Spring nor has a groove in the Ratchet Spacer that would hold the Slient Dog Spring in place.  See the attached image.

alantani

correct.  if you have a dog with the leaf springs on it, then you do not need the triangular spring. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!