Avet MXL Bearing Noise

Started by miamipescador, December 30, 2011, 04:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamipescador

Hey guys, just purchased an MXL and im getting a clicking sound as i reel on strike.
This is my 2nd avet reel(first is an lx), and have had no problems with that one.

I saw a post on here that seems to describe my problem pretty darn well but cannot it now.

Drag is set at less than 10 pounds even on full, probably at around 4 pounds on strike.

When i reel in on strike its like if there was a wobble to the reel, i saw on another thread this could mean that the manufacturer drilled the spool too deep causing the bearing to have too much space?

Please let me know if you can help me out with this, and thanks!

alantani

check the clicker.  sometimes the black collar that holds the click button gets worn out.  the spool should not wobble unless the bearings are crunched.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

miamipescador

Thanks for the reply Alan.
Its not a constant clicking noise... its hard to describe really.

With the lever at strike, when i reel there is a constant tap feeling to the reel every handle turn. sometimes it doesnt even happen, but sometimes it does so the whole way reeling in. Ill try to take some pics of the parts and maybe that would be more helpful

miamipescador

Alan could it also be the Anti reverse dog? My Avet LX doesnt make this noise at all, but have heard that the sx and mxl make it though. The sounds is not loud at all but you can feel a slight thump on the reel.

alantani

does it have a silent anti-reverse or does it have a clicking dog?

miamipescador

It is the newer model so it should be silent, i cant hear it all the time

alantani

place your finger on the clicker button and see if you feel it clicking.