Started by sharkman, January 07, 2021, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Dam quick addiction continues. Purchased eBay 550. It's amazing how good cleaning and little paint is all they need. Sometimes I wonder if the little more complex disassembly kept people from tinkering with them. Decided to use it for big drum fishing on kayak. Loaded it with 30 lb big game and put on 8 ft Diawa beef stick. It balanced out well with rod. Took it to my test spot that is loaded with big salt water sailcats. I was amazed it like a winch.

sandbar

Awesome clean up. Did you sand completely and paint
or sand the bad spots and paint.
I haven't gotten to the paint level yet on my restores.
I need to learn how it's done. I went overboard too and have quite a few
quicks to redo. It's definitely addictive.
Thanks
-Steve

foakes

Nice job, SM —

These are as tough as a Warn winch for the salt.

For large, capable salt water reels in the DAM Quick line-up —

Look at the old 270 Super, 275 Super, 550, 550N, 5000, and 5001.

Any of these will bring the meat to the table.

Comparable to the Penn 700, 704, 706, and the Z's — plus the larger Mitchell's like the 302, 488, 498.

Some of the old large Shakespeare's are pretty tough also.

Then there are Langley's and Luxor's..

At the end of the day — when fishing the salt — in surf or spray conditions for mostly large fish any of these reels will do a good job.

But they need to be a simple and strong drive system, overbuilt materials and spool capacity — and parts must be available — since some small parts will be necessary to keep them running strong for the decades to come.

Again, great work on that 550...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sharkman

Sandbar, i just clean the surface really good and use a flat black paint. I haven't complete stripped paint from reel yet.

Fred thanks for comments, it means a lot coming from the expert. I have acquired 270 and 275. The 270 I fish, can't bring myself to fish the 275 because it was a gift from Sal. Always on look out for 5000 and 5001. What size are the larger Shakespeares. I enjoy rebuilding older reels because they come from a time period when things were built to last and companies took pride in a quality product.

foakes

The big Shakes are the 2080 & 2090 size reels.

And they are about the same size as the large Quicks, Penns, Mitchell's, Penns, Langleys, and Luxors.

Parts are tough to source for the Shakes, Langley's, and Luxors though.

I am fortunate to have plenty of parts for the Quicks, Penns, and Mitchell's — to keep our members going for years to come.

I would encourage you to fish that DQ 275 2-Speed reel that was a gift from Sal.

That is what Sal would have wanted you to do. 

A reel on a shelf could just as well be a paperweight or a bookend.  It deserves a few legends before you retire it to just be  a Plinth Princess.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

If you ever have a use for a manual pick up for that reel the one for the Penn 704 Spinfisher fits perfectly.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sharkman

Thanks Handi that's good to know. I like bailess when surf fishing

sandbar

I have a 2090 that I'd be happy to send to you Sharkman.
Message me your address and I will send it to you.
They are a pretty stout machine.
- Steve

sharkman

Steve,

Thank you. I sent pm

Tight lines,

James

sandbar

Sharkman,
I'm sending you the reel tomorrow.
I hope you post some pictures of your rebuild and a shark or two you catch with it.
-Steve

sharkman

Steve,

Thank you. Looking forward to trying new reel. Will post catches.

Tight Lines,

James

BCT7

Quote from: foakes on January 07, 2021, 11:43:34 PM
For large, capable salt water reels in the DAM Quick line-up —

Look at the old 270 Super, 275 Super, 550, 550N, 5000, and 5001.

Any of these will bring the meat to the table.

Comparable to the Penn 700, 704, 706, and the Z's — plus the larger Mitchell's like the 302, 488, 498.

Some of the old large Shakespeare's are pretty tough also.

Then there are Langley's and Luxor's..

At the end of the day — when fishing the salt — in surf or spray conditions for mostly large fish any of these reels will do a good job.

But they need to be a simple and strong drive system, overbuilt materials and spool capacity — and parts must be available — since some small parts will be necessary to keep them running strong for the decades to come.

So I bought a 550, finally managed to cleaned the inside and outside and I think it is ready for fishing. I am planning to use it for catfish and carp here locally.

Long story short, I just find out that we are planning to go to Florida in a few months, so I am thinking maybe I want to do some fishing on the beach while we are there. I got some 9ft rods that I use here but I may get a longer one. Would a 550 be a good match? Or a 270 is a better match? I need another heavy duty reel, I mean I am not trying to reel in some sharks but would like to be able to go after whatever I can catch from the beach. I am thinking maybe paired with 30-50lbs braid - I dunno tbh, I need to do some research what people usually use when fishing on the beach.

I like the 550 just because I have cleaned one. Another 550 project would be easier since I am familiar with the reel now. But I am happy to get a 270 or whatever (does not have to be a DAM) if that means a step up from 550. I do hope for something that cost reasonably, easy to work on, and of course the bigger the stronger the better.

I would appreciate any help.

oldmanjoe

Here is another thread 550 / 270    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24955.0
   I like 550 for braided line and the 270 with momo line .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

The 550 will hold a butt-load of 50 lb braid! I think I got round 350 yds 20lb mono, maybe more on one. You may want to look at putting on some back then a 300 yard spool of the 50 braid depending on what you want to do with it. They will do ok on a 9'  but honestly with that reel and line, I'd go on up to 11 or 12 feet if you really want distance, and you'll still have plenty of line for a fish to run. My 0.02.

BCT7

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 12, 2021, 02:14:19 PM
Here is another thread 550 / 270    https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24955.0
  I like 550 for braided line and the 270 with momo line .

Thank you.

Quote from: thorhammer on February 12, 2021, 02:29:53 PM
The 550 will hold a butt-load of 50 lb braid! I think I got round 350 yds 20lb mono, maybe more on one. You may want to look at putting on some back then a 300 yard spool of the 50 braid depending on what you want to do with it. They will do ok on a 9'  but honestly with that reel and line, I'd go on up to 11 or 12 feet if you really want distance, and you'll still have plenty of line for a fish to run. My 0.02.

Yeah I was browsing for some 12ft poles last night. Any recommendation?

Is there a difference internally between 550 vs 270? Like is one has larger stronger gear than the other? Or am I splitting hair at this point? Just buy whatever the cheapest one I can find? haha

I would love to have a 5001 but the few that I have seen online seems to go for very high price. I have a 3001 from my dad but I use to fish around here but not planning to take that to the beach. It has sentimental value and do not want to expose it to salt.