Ambassadeur Factory Question

Started by Mic, January 08, 2021, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Does anyone know just what is or what isn't made by ABU in Sweden now ?

I've heard that the BG Series 9 and 10k reels were, but have seen evidence against that statement.

Don't get me wrong, but if the only way to get quality and stability is to find, buy, fix something that's 40 years old, then ABU will be soon going the way of the Packard, the payphone on the corner, and the whorehouse. All gone forever

Mic

Gfish

Good question!
I got a Revo Toro Beast a couple a years ago. Good inshore baitcaster, with a hefty price. Made in Korea.

Would Abu answer an email question like yours? Prolly not... Got an Abumatic 120(spincaster) comming from Finland, a '60's Abu product. My bro. had one when we was kids and I always coveted it. Almost NIB, will be a shelfy.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

This is a question we debate to infinity on the "We who love the Abu Ambassadeur" Facebook group. C3 C4 are made in Sweden. They make one off lots of at least 500 units, of these models to purchaser specs also. Like the catfish editions and the Swartzonker. Sweden only make 4600, 5500, 5600, 6500 in C3 and C4. The Record is not in current production but can show up on Abu's site or ffo-tackle sometimes. 7500 sizes are now only in Ci configuration from Asia. I don't think 9000 or larger have been in production for awhile. Personally I wouldn't call Abu Sweden's current cost saving renditions to be worthy of the Ambassadeur name or my money.

SteveL

Quote from: Mic on January 08, 2021, 03:06:17 PM
Does anyone know just what is or what isn't made by ABU in Sweden now ?

I've heard that the BG Series 9 and 10k reels were, but have seen evidence against that statement.

Pretty much all of the low profile baitcasters some out of Asia.  The cheap crappy S models (5600s etc) and BCX models that you see at Walmart come from China.   In the mid 2000's all of the 6500 and under round reels came from Sweden, while the 7000 and up seemed to come from China.  I think that was still Omoto in Taiwan before production shifted to mainland China.  Sometime around 2008, the chinese S and BCX models started showing up, though you could still find the swedish made models.

As far as I know, the current round reels in C3, C4, and C5 are still made in Sweden, which should be stamped onto the sideplate.  

The last time I was in Academy Sports, they didn't have a single swedish Abu Garcia, just the chinese ones.   Now Academy Sports is selling some of the higher end KastKing reels which all come from China.

Mic

Thanks for the replies Fellers. I guess I'm a little further around the bend then when I started. Reading Doc's reply to Mike's 9000 breakdown helped me a bunch. Thank you both for unimplied information.

Looks like I'm gonna start beating the bushes for that 40 year old jewel that's looking for some TLC and a bunch of riverboat rides.

Just the same, I know there's a lot of fellers out there that would pay a higher dollar for a good quality reel, if the manufacturer built a reel that would be around for 40 years.

Thanks again everyone

Mic (as in pandeMIC)

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 08, 2021, 02:06:41 PM
Okay. Sorry for delay.
Just went and had a more thorough look.

MHC's reel is, according to the foot stamp number if i have deciphered that correctly, designed in 2006, and manufactured after one revision in april of 2007. As noted, a later "i" version 10000i.

Mo's reel seems to be designed in 2003 and made in january of 2004 without revisions, which would suggest that it is one of the first year, first model original Big Game series.

As we have seen before, the Big Game series was presented in the Swedish version of Tight Lines in 2004, in a basic lineup of 7000, 9000 and 10000 sizes. Described as featuring the double dogs and multiple disc teflon drag.

The next year, 2005, the lineup was broadened to include the BG 7000HS, 7000HSN, 7000LD*, and both 9000 and 10000 in CT (non-levelwind) versions. No mention of stainless gears anywhere, and the same multi-disc teflon drag.

In 2006, this lineup and description was identical. I think this was the year (or maybe the year after) i ran into Abu's production manager at the time and the subject of the brass gears came up briefly. Nothing particularly important or interesting was discussed.

In 2007, my catalog seems to be missing, dunno why, but the 7000i was introduced in red livery.

In 2008, they describe a list of improvements to the 7000 9000 and 10000, including Carbon Matrix drag washers, double dogs and overly dimensioned gears, as well as a stronger thisorthat and theotherthing. 
They mention having improved the 7000i in more than twenty ways, (which makes me wonder what the hell was wrong with it to begin with) along with IAR and double dogs. The 10000i and 9000i are shown in black livery, and a BG 7000i HSN, BG 9000i and BG 10000i are listed in the fine print.

In 2009, same as year previous.

Nowhere, including the advertisement a few posts up, do they actually mention stainless steel gears, or what changes were made exactly. If anyone really wants to know, they would need someone who is good at Abu schematics to compare and decipher any differences. KenD would have been perfect for the job, but maybe others can as well. I myself cannot be bothered.

*actually introduced the previous year, but dressed in blue

tincanary

C3, C4, CS Pro Rocket, and Morrum are all made in Sweden.  BCX, SX, and S are Chinese.  7000s are made in Taiwan.  Budget low profiles like the Black Max, Silver Max, and Pro Max are made in China, while the midrange and higher end Revos are made in Korea.

Mic

Quote from: tincanary on January 11, 2021, 03:14:16 PM
C3, C4, CS Pro Rocket, and Morrum are all made in Sweden.  BCX, SX, and S are Chinese.  7000s are made in Taiwan.  Budget low profiles like the Black Max, Silver Max, and Pro Max are made in China, while the midrange and higher end Revos are made in Korea.

BAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that information

Excellent information when your looking to buy the best you can get and who's turning out junk

Big Solid Thank You Tincanary~!

tincanary

Quote from: Mic on January 11, 2021, 03:54:59 PM

BAAAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that information

Excellent information when your looking to buy the best you can get and who's turning out junk

Big Solid Thank You Tincanary~!

You're welcome.  For what it's worth, the Korean made Abus are very nice.  The Doyo factory makes mid and high end reels for Abu, Penn, Pflueger, Lews, and Bass Pro Shops (Pro Qualifier).  My Korean Abus are just as quality as my Japanese made Daiwa reels. 

SteveL

The 7000 and higher models were made by Omoto in Taiwan up until the mid to late 2000's.  Abu Garcia moved production from Omoto, and I believe it went to mainland China.   

tincanary

Quote from: SteveL on January 11, 2021, 04:30:01 PM

The 7000 and higher models were made by Omoto in Taiwan up until the mid to late 2000's.  Abu Garcia moved production from Omoto, and I believe it went to mainland China.   

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this.

SteveL

Quote from: tincanary on January 11, 2021, 04:51:11 PM

When Abu moved production< Omoto had a factory set up for that type of reel but no customer, so they made a few changes and manufactured them under their own name and later for Akios.  

Mic

Quote from: SteveL on January 11, 2021, 05:37:54 PM

When Abu moved production< Omoto had a factory set up for that type of reel but no customer, so they made a few changes and manufactured them under their own name and later for Akios.  

So,
Does Omoto manufacture the Big Game series reels for Akios ? 7K through 10K ?

SteveL

Quote from: Mic on January 11, 2021, 06:18:16 PM

So,

I don't think Akios has models as large as the 9000 and 10000.  They have a 7000 size.  From everything I've seen about Akios and Omoto reels, the 6000 size is sturdier than the corresponding Ambassadeur.  It has been compared to a shrunken 7000.  And they do have stainless steel gears available for Akios and Ambassadeur  (see the post https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31584.msg369272#msg369272).

If you are lookiing for a sturdy swedish made Ambassadeur, there is a reasonable price on a new in the box Chrome Rocket on ebay.  A bit spendy, but not much more than a new 6500c3.  The Chrome Rocket has heavier sideplates and frame than the typical C3 that you see these days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSADEUR-6500-CS-CHROME-ROCKET-NEW-MINT-IN-BOX-BUY-IT-NOW/124518598684?epid=24032575566&hash=item1cfde3081c:g:g-YAAOSwfmddLhN9

Mic

Quote from: SteveL on January 11, 2021, 07:28:52 PM
Quote from: Mic on January 11, 2021, 06:18:16 PM

So,

I don't think Akios has models as large as the 9000 and 10000.  They have a 7000 size.  From everything I've seen about Akios and Omoto reels, the 6000 size is sturdier than the corresponding Ambassadeur.  It has been compared to a shrunken 7000.  And they do have stainless steel gears available for Akios and Ambassadeur  (see the post https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31584.msg369272#msg369272).

If you are lookiing for a sturdy swedish made Ambassadeur, there is a reasonable price on a new in the box Chrome Rocket on ebay.  A bit spendy, but not much more than a new 6500c3.  The Chrome Rocket has heavier sideplates and frame than the typical C3 that you see these days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABU-GARCIA-AMBASSADEUR-6500-CS-CHROME-ROCKET-NEW-MINT-IN-BOX-BUY-IT-NOW/124518598684?epid=24032575566&hash=item1cfde3081c:g:g-YAAOSwfmddLhN9

Steve,
I wouldn't say that you were GOD sent, but your pretty damn close!

Thanks for the great information. I just went through a divorce and lost some good reels and equipment. Had some reels and other stuff stored in my sister's barn out back of her house. Her husband set it on fire last year. Several great rebuilt Penn 210's were lost along with some 10' rods, chain saws, HVAC Service tools. Just bad news all the way around.
Got remarried in November. Paid off her ring and our wedding, now I'm wanting to go fishing. I'm wanting to gear up with stuff that is saltwater rated that can drag an 80 pound yella cat out from under a rock. A big damn rock.

The info you, Mike (MO65), Tincannary and a few others have helped me with is invaluable. I know what I'm looking for. Just gotta go find them. Thanks again fellers !

Gfish

Took a look odda curiosity and it's marked "SOLD".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!