Penn Long Beach 60 problem

Started by Wayne B., January 09, 2021, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne B.

I just bought a newer Penn Long Beach 60 (paddle type handle knob). The reel looks great. Shiny, no-corrosion chrome and no signs of abuse. My problem is the reel lopes when it is turned. It shows resistance once per spool revolution. When the spool tail-plate bearing cap is loosened it only Lopes when it is turned with handle side up. When it is turned tail-plate side up it spins just like new. When I tighten the the bearing the bearing cap to 1/16" axial play, it lopes in any position. I tried a different bearing cap, no change. I visually inspected the gears and they look like new. ANY IDEAS????

CooldadE

How about the handle side bushing ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Wayne B.

CooldadE

So the different bearing cap you changed was on the non-handle side ? If you have an extra handle side bushing cap you might want to swap it out to see if that helps...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Wayne B.

I suspected the shaft spindle might be bent. I chucked it in a drill and it wobbled about like all penn spools. I then put the spool in another 60 and it worked fine. I put the spool from my donor reel and put it in my problem reel. Both work fine!!! No idea what the problem was. I had only removed the tail-plates for the swap out. Who knows?

broadway

If you screw in the non handle side bushing too far before reassembling the reel, the spool may not have seated properly within the spring and bushing.
I screw that bushing in about half way and then tilt the reel so the spool is seated properly on the pinion,  then I screw that bushing in.
Guess who taught me that?  ....SAL!
Happy you're all set, just pay attention to that next time, Wayne.
Enjoy your reel.
Best,
Dom

Wayne B.

alantani

which ever side of the spool has the hop or rub, try replacing the bushing on that side first.  hopefully this will be a cheap and easy fix.  if that still does not work, then it might be the spool.  hopefully replacing the bushing will fix the problem.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wayne B.

mo65

I have had this happen too. I've taken a part from a reel thinking it was bad, and have it work fine in another reel. This is why a Penn part has to be obviously trashed before I will toss it. Bushings...for sure...do not play by the rules. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cuttyhunker

Rather than trying to fix the good reel, I'll do my best to "break" the good one, switching out parts one at a time from the problem reel to the good one to isolate the problem.  Seems like your spool is okay.  Once it was just equalizing the bridge bolt torques.
Doomed from childhood

Bryan Young

I'm sorry for my ignorance. What is lopes?

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wayne B.

Sorry, maybe my ignorance. I used the word lope to mean the reel experiences a spot during spool rotation where the handle experiences a higher resistance.

Wayne B.

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on January 10, 2021, 04:42:30 PMOnce it was just equalizing the bridge bolt torques.

I am not sure what you mean. How would the torque on the bridge bolts affect the rotation of the spool?

Swami805

Check the screws that hold the frame together, if the frame isn't square that could cause your problem
Do what you can with that you have where you are