Ambassadeur Custom Mag kit on Ebay.

Started by SteveL, January 10, 2021, 06:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

I saw this kit while browsing ebay.   Although it appears not to be adjustable (short of adding/removing magnets), I have to give some points for creativity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254821770372

tincanary

Avail, the Japanese manufacturer of performance reel parts, makes something similar.  I have one and each magnet is independently adjustable with a hex wrench.  It works well but is tedious to adjust.  I ended up removing it and going back to the centrifugal brake.

SteveL

Quote from: tincanary on January 11, 2021, 11:44:51 AM
Avail, the Japanese manufacturer of performance reel parts, makes something similar.  I have one and each magnet is independently adjustable with a hex wrench.  It works well but is tedious to adjust.  I ended up removing it and going back to the centrifugal brake.

Yes, tedious to adjust the magnets.  What I would like to see is something to hold a standard low profile reel's magnet holder, and use the abu mag "contol switch" slider to adjust the position of the magnet holder.  I think you mentioned elsewhere that the standard abu magnet holder just tilts a bit but doesn't really have the range of movement you would like in a magnetic brake.

Still, I have to give the guy points for creativity and for use of the 3D printer.