DQ NOOB Question

Started by Bill B, January 13, 2021, 03:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I'm rather new to the DQ's....I have 2  270's but that's it.....my question is in sizing them....is it safe to assume the bigger the number the bigger the reel?  I can follow the 110, 220, 330 logic, but where does the 265 fit in....and I haven't even begun to figure out where the 1000, 2000 fit in.....would someone happen to have a chart or list of the sizes?

Thank you in advance....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Glad to have you on board with DQ, Bill —

I and others will be glad to help you all we can.

As a rule, the (7) reels from 110 to 550 are in order, size-wise.

The next series of (7) from 110N to 550N are also in order.

The next series of (6) 1000 to 5000, are in order.

As are the (6) from 1001 to 5001.

Next is the '02 series, in order.

The clinker, is the earlier series — this is due to the fact that DQ was trying to find their footing, after WWII.

S.W. 68, 250 Standard, 240 Junior, 245 Junior, 218, 228, 238, 248, 265, 280, 285, 270, 275 are all in the earlier group.

It was both the engineering and the marketing department that came up with the numerical series — in size order — that made more sense to the angling community worldwide — particularly in North America.

Then there are more modern models also — and they are typically in a numerical size sequence.

Roland, in the Netherlands has a good history and timeline online — but size is not indicated clearly — just model numbers and approximate years.

http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html

Knowing your seriousness about getting things right, Captain — you will have this digested and dialed in very soon.

Glad to help with whatever you need, Bill.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Then there are the Level Winds like the Champion 700 Series .

I have boxes of Bail Type Reels and just never cared for them until I talked to Fred and tore into some of the D.A.M Quick's and discovered the fine points of the manufacture of these. Now I have dug all of them out and unfortunately purchased many more to the point I have over 80 now . Plus about 10 of the Level Winds and it's all Fred's Fault  ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Bill B

Thank you for the reply Fred.....yeah, I will have to put something together  ;)....if nothing else to keep things straight in my fuzzy mind....When i have something I will send a copy to see what you think.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

BCT7

Quote from: Wompus Cat on January 13, 2021, 01:54:16 PM
Then there are the Level Winds like the Champion 700 Series .

How are these champion series in term of built quality? I think I have seen 700 and 800 series but does not seems they are as known as the spinning reels.

philaroman

Quote from: BCT7 on January 14, 2021, 07:57:53 AM
How are these champion series in term of built quality? I think I have seen 700 and 800 series but does not seems they are as known as the spinning reels.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31148.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31299.0

foakes

The 600 - 800 Champion series of baitcasters are like ABU's — except stronger materials and simpler engineering.

So folks do not get mixed up — there are also (2) other Series of DAM Quick reels referred to as "Champion".

They are the skirted spool spinners —

1000 - 5000 & 1001 - 5001.

These are possibly some of the toughest DQ reels ever produced.

The features, components & materials are without compare.

You just have to examine one closely inside and outside to see the multiple lifetime quality of these reels.

Then take it fishing.

If anyone has any of these series of reels that they don't like or want — just let me know — I'll buy all of them.

Here is a 1401 Champion that belongs to one of our members — same size basically as a 300 size Mitchell.

The only comparison is that they both are spinning  reels...

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Hey Fred ,
Leave some of those skirted Champions for us normal folk!
Seriously , I will second what you said about toughness , one of the strongest spinners ever made IMHO .
Best always,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn