What have I got here? SZ 8 or 9 DAM Quick Super Line Counter?

Started by williewiskers, February 03, 2021, 10:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I have had this for awhile, everything works smooth can tell the grease is old from the feel of it. Want to get this going, its been sitting on a whippy 12' custom Lami unused since I got it.

Anyone know exactly what it is so I can digest whatever we got on it in here?

Its big, in between the size of my FinNor OFS8500 and 9500

Ty,
The Wiskers

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

Yes 270 with line counter , there are a coulp of write up on this board .  Some are marked in meters and some in yards .
  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30016.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

williewiskers

Thanks for the ID. I do believe it to be in meters, but ill find out for sure when I can clean that view window up.

williewiskers

Curious, what was the intended application of this spinning reel with a line counter? Did then intend this for strait down boat fishing? I thought that was unheard of in the vintage of this reel? I was told these were intended for freshwater (the smaller ones) and surf casting (this size).

Midway Tommy

They came out in 1954, quite awhile before Darrell Lowrance came out with the first transistorized sonar depth finder. The Quick-o-Mats were basically used to determine depth and to see how far one was casting. Back reeling will let you know how much line you let out. Opening the bail to let line out will tell you nothing until you reel it in. Once people started using portable depth finders their novelty quickly wore off and they lost their appeal. I'm not 100% sure about the 270 but with the Standard (i.e. 260) Quick-o-Mat the line counter was a separate side-plate accessory.   

I think the 270 Quick-o-Mat was also an accessory as I have never seen one in a marked box. Fred would most likely know for sure, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

williewiskers

Quote from: oldmanjoe on February 04, 2021, 01:59:31 AM
http://www.saschas-sammler-homepage.de/info-super.html

According to this its one of the first iterations in the late 50's and it is a non-export model cause its in meters. Judging by the pictures in the advertisements the intended use was surf fishing and salmon(?) fishing. So it seems appropriate to keep it with the rod that its on.

Thank you!

Benni3

Quote from: williewiskers on February 04, 2021, 02:33:44 AM

According to this its one of the first iterations in the late 50's and it is a non-export model cause its in meters. Judging by the pictures in the advertisements the intended use was surf fishing and salmon(?) fishing. So it seems appropriate to keep it with the rod that its on.

Thank you!
There is carbon drag washers that will fit,,,,, ;) if anyone knows what size? ,,,,,,, :) that's what I want to put in mine and run 60lb braid for flatheads,,,,,,,, ;D

williewiskers

Quote from: Benni3 on February 04, 2021, 05:02:11 AM

Thank you!
There is carbon drag washers that will fit,,,,, ;) if anyone knows what size? ,,,,,,, :) that's what I want to put in mine and run 60lb braid for flatheads,,,,,,,, ;D

Yes, i will find a way to get greased CF drags in there. I wont be running braid on this for surf casting with a rod bearing wire guides, but I want it there for smoothness and the grease helps with mitigating salt water in the drag stack cavity.

I would rather buy them then have to make them, so if the right size is available somewhere ill buy them.

oldmanjoe

Some thing to think about , were the dial come out of the case is a open wound .    I would not submerge the reel , it will blow bubbles .
  The proper  spool for that reel is a trolling spool , you need to get creative to put drag washers in it .

Benni3

Quote from: williewiskers on February 04, 2021, 05:15:14 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on February 04, 2021, 05:02:11 AM

Thank you!

Yes, i will find a way to get greased CF drags in there. I wont be running braid on this for surf casting with a rod bearing wire guides, but I want it there for smoothness and the grease helps with mitigating salt water in the drag stack cavity.

I would rather buy them then have to make them, so if the right size is available somewhere ill buy them.
I'm sure penn or Bryan has some ,,,,,, ;)  but it's the same size as a squidder or something else,,,,,,, :-\ that can cross over,,,,,,,,,, ;D

theswimmer

That is one of the Quicks that was poorly made . Such a stain on their great record .
Pretty paperweight .
PM me and I will give you my address so that we can dispose of it properly .
Just my  2 cts .
::) ;D

Best always ,
Jonathan

P.S.
Nice Super.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

williewiskers

Quote from: theswimmer on February 05, 2021, 01:58:28 AM
That is one of the Quicks that was poorly made . Such a stain on their great record .
Pretty paperweight .
PM me and I will give you my address so that we can dispose of it properly .
Just my  2 cts .
::) ;D

Best always ,
Jonathan

P.S.
Nice Super.....

A friend of mine has a box of DAM reels like this, smaller ones. He thinks theyre garbage. I tried convincing him they arent, but he wont budge.