Small made in USA

Started by PeteRocck, February 04, 2021, 01:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteRocck

Hey All
I'm looking for a small star drag conventional style reel that is made in USA. It would be going on light casting rod for bottom jigging porgy's, sea bass and maybe schoolie strippers. I'm a penn guy but looking for something smaller than a narrowed 500 series. Im not that familiar with other brands physical sizing. I seen a Pro Gear V20 that looked nice. Not sure it's made in USA. Does anyone have some suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks,
Pete
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

Swami805

Check out accurate terns. The 300 size might fit the bill
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

Penn Torque 100 (TRQ100), mini beast.

thorhammer

I think someone, maybe Bryan, said the "new" Progear is out of business. Options for you may be Siegler, Newell 220, Squidder Jr or Cortez Classic Squidder (a personal favorite), Penn 100, Avet SX is affordable and a good lever drag.

John

xjchad

Ya'll know what I'm gonna say...

Penn Mag 10!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rancanfish

Well, the Penn Torque 12 & 15, but whoo-ee $$$$.  I might suggest the soon to be here narrow XN frame for the 220 Newell from Randy.  Then you have a small reel with Jigmaster guts.  Or along that vein the old ProGear 255, and 501. All USA made.  May take some time to find.  The V20 is still available and would work great, Made in Taiwan?

Tom's squidder kit has amazing design and tolerance, but you still have Squidder guts and slow gearing.  I love it too.

Penn Mag 525 is another small powerful reel that can cast a mile too.

Or venture over to Daiwa Lexa and other saltwater baitcasters.  Last time I fished I used the Lexa and a narrowed (XN) Jigmaster.

Lot's of choices now days.  Good luck.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Oh yeah...couldn't recall the numbers on my small original progears but they are some of my favorites. I wasn't thinking levelwind, but the Mag 10 is a great call if so. I use them a lot, and can't believe the 525 didn't occur...great reels also.

Randy is my cloud backup :)  ;D

Rancanfish

I think of my Penn 955 / 965 when thinking levelwinds, (along with the Lexa's).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

The way Tom scalloped the plates, the Cortex Classic jigmaster palms about like a Squidder- just checked. i don't know what he has left, but I love mine in all widths and the 99 width is a great balance of capacity and castability.

oc1

SoCalAngler

For new check Accurate, Avet and Seigler. Used Penn and Newell for the most part. I may be looking to sell a Newell C220, 40 lb 8 strand braid backed and freshly serviced (open spool bearings with TSI, carbontex drags with Cal's grease and more) which looks new with clamp. PM me if you want to talk about it.

PeteRocck

Thanks guys. I like the torque 15! It's priceeeey. So the squidder 146. What's the extra lever for? Are the side plates same diameter as a jigmaster? I already have a 500 & 501 & the narrowed 501 kit from Randy. I'm really interested in smaller diameter reel. If that makes sense. Or how about the Penn #9? Size? I'm not into the level wind but I guess I could gut it if size was good.
Current Reel inventory
2-505hs, 2-49, 1-500, 3-battle2 4000's
1-320GT2, 1-5500ss, 1- Daiwa Emcast, 1-15TLD

kjdunne

The #9 is noticeably smaller than a Jigmaster, side plates are 2 1/2" dia., 1 3/4" inside between sides.  Palms nicely.  My favorite for fluke and black sea bass inshore NJ.  New ones are China made, older USA made ones are plentiful on the 'net.

Kal

Benni3

Quote from: PeteRocck on February 05, 2021, 01:59:29 AM
Thanks guys. I like the torque 15! It's priceeeey. So the squidder 146. What's the extra lever for? Are the side plates same diameter as a jigmaster? I already have a 500 & 501 & the narrowed 501 kit from Randy. I'm really interested in smaller diameter reel. If that makes sense. Or how about the Penn #9? Size? I'm not into the level wind but I guess I could gut it if size was good.
I got a 1/0 senator but it's not the best reel to upgrade with the drag,,,, ;) on sol there's a 525 for $130 and the pro gear is great stuff,,,,,,,, ;D

SoCalAngler

From left to right. Penn Monofil 25 with Carbontex drags and upgraded handle and arm knob with Newell metal spool (I do have the stock arm and handle), Newell C220-5 Carbontex drags, Penn 525 Mag with upgraded handle and arm. The following are not American made reels, Daiwa BG 20H Carbontex here and have the stock carbon fiber drags which are fine, Daiwa SL20SH Carbontex drags with aftermarket frame and handle (US made frame and handle).

All are small, compact and up to most tasks. Though the Monofil will get much less drag and a lot less inches per crank than the others.