OKUMA SD-20L ... Drag Help or Garbage Time?

Started by RustyTank, January 01, 2012, 12:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyTank

I've got a pair of OKUMA SD-20L reels... Served me well on a couple inshore salt-water baitcaster rods... but the drags have degraded steadily... (crank em all the way down... and still can't work even a small fish...) can I improve/fix the drags? Or are these reels too cheep to make any work more than the reels are worth?

kamuwela

have you taken it apart yet? maybe some service and drag grease may be all you need.

Bryan Young

Most reels are worth saving.  New greased drags would help and of course, a good cleaning and greasing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

easy fix!!!!  new drags and a new handle grip.  figure 30 minutes of bench time.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

RustyTank

I hear some fellow in CA named Alan just worked magic on 2 of them!

alantani

yup, all done.  the paint was peeling off the handles pretty badly. i scraped off the loose stuff and got a coat of grease on the handle to stop the rest.  we'll need an alternative later.  okuma might have something. 

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastalobsession

If you plan on trashing it give me a holler. I will pay for shipping.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani