Increasing drag on Penn GLD 20

Started by directdrive8, January 01, 2012, 03:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

directdrive8

Hi, All:

Here's to a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to everyone! 

Recently picked up two NIB Penn Formula GLD 20 reels for $90 each.  Thought that was a good deal.  When I looked at the drag pressure ratings in the literature, I was disappointed with the listed max drag.

That said, I need to know how to increase the drag pressure on these reels.  I've looked through the tutorials but haven't seen that particular topic.  Like looking for a reel part you've put in a "safe place" on the work table, it's probably hiding in plain sight.

I want to run 50 lb. spectra with a top-shot on this reel but the drag pressure is way too low in my opinion.  Will be hunting 150 to 200 lb Yellowfin with it.  Any help, directions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines,

Robert

Nessie Hunter

Here is a Pic Tutorial for that Reel By Hafnor.   Well done by the way..
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1806.0

Looks to have HT100 (woven carbon fiber) Drag Washer (at least his did??).
The only way I see to ramp up the Drag Pressure would be to Change the Bellville washers or add 1 or 2 to the stack....
When you ramp up the pressure you then have worries about Frame & Spool strength..

I am not familiar with this reel at all,  But Im sure other that are will chime in to help..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

robert, i think it's the wrong tool for the job.  single speed, huh?  i would limit graphite framed reels to 20 pounds of drag.  if you're on a moving boat, it might work.  from a stationary platform, it would be really tough.  i would rather see you use a reel with a full aluminum frame.  i'd like to see you with 400-500 yards of 100 pound spectra and a short topshot of 60, 80 or 100 fluoro and a 25 to 33% drag setting.  200 pounds is a pretty big fish.  reels in this class would include a penn 16 vsx, a makaira 20 II, an accurate ATD 12 or a shimano tiagra 20.  avet has a gap here.  i think the avet raptors and hx's are too light and the ex's are too heavy.  an avet ex 20/2 would be great, but the don't make one.  not a fan of any of the daiwas.  tiburon, finnor and quantum have reels in this class but i am not as familiar with them.  

sorry, i think a single speed graphite lever drag against a big yellowfin is like taking a knife to a gunfight.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

directdrive8

Alan and Nessie:

Thanks for the replies.  The reels are 2 speed.  3.8/1 and 2/1 (I think).  Yes, 200 lb. YF's are a handful.  Likely, most of the fish I am chasing are in the 100 to 150 range.  Bigger ones are there.  I've caught any number of 150 pounders on old Shimano TLD 30's so figured the Penns to be in the same class, i.e. graphite frames and aluminum spools.  Those Shimanos were loaded up with 50 pound mono.  Anyway, since I intended to use 50 pound Spectra with a 40 pound mono top shot, I wanted to beef up the drags beyond the stated max drag to match the Spectra.  Is there a way to beef the drag up on these reels?

Tight Lines,

Robert

alantani

sorry, to answer your question, yes, there is.  change the belleville configuration from "()()" to "(())".  you may need an extra spacer.  been a while since i worked on one of these.  for the size of the reel, i would typically load this reel with 80 or 100 # spectra straight to the top, then add a short topshot of 50, 60 or 80# fluoro and set the drags to 18, maybe 20#'s at strike.  you might look at spooling it wht 450 yards of straight 50# mono.  it would be much cheaper.  the typical drag grease and bearing service are essential.  here is the post on the single speed reel.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=268.0  and here is the penn international rebuild post that shows how to remove the shifter button.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=232.0 alan

directdrive8

Alan:

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my question.  I will take your suggestions regarding this reel under advisement.  I know you're right.  I just wanted to create a silk purse... :)  I'll let you know how things turn out.

Robert

alantani

well, it would certainly be exciting!!!!!!   ;D

Bryan Young

If you are looking at free spool, you can sleeve the spool shaft, but will only relieve one of the spool bearings from the side load because the spool uses 2 different ID and OD bearings, and the spool shaft has a step.  It will make a difference though.  I tried it out on a 30 and was surprised it actually worked out great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tunanorth

Apologies for chiming in a bit late.
As Alan points out, the GLD20 is a graphite-framed reel, and under most circumstances is not really the correct tool for chasing 100-plus pound tuna.
However, with "only" 50 pound braid and 40-pound topshots, it should suffice, as it will be difficult to apply more than a few additional pounds of pressure than the 14-pound factory spec on that line.
The number of graphite reel failures [all brands] on big tuna aboard the San Diego boats has rendered them virtually obsolete for such use.