Question on Triton 200GT

Started by zward, January 02, 2012, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

I have a couple of these I pulled out of my grandpas back closet, they were in pretty rough shape after years of saltwater use, but after taking everything apart and cleaning, put in new drags they're looking much better. The one thing I notice on these reels though is when actuating the clutch lever, if you pull it all the way back the pinion gear seems to grab the spool shaft again as the yoke is now able to ride back down the yoke plate. It seems if the lever is actuated roughly halfway back, the yoke sits at the peak of the yoke plate and the pinion gear is totally dissengaged and the reel free spools fine. Is it common that there is a clutch lever 'sweet spot' so to speak on these reels? Seems like you'd want all the way forward to be engaged and all the way back to be dissengaged. Just wondering if others have encountered that with these reels.

Thanks for the input!
Zane

zward

Looking at it now it looks like it might not be the pinion gear still grabbing on but rather the yoke plate hitting the drive and/or pinion gear when the clutch lever is fully reversed, as it seems to spool out line fine the handle just cannot be turned freely. Still wondering if this is common across these reels.

Thanks again,
Zane

alantani

yeah, it's supposed to be "on" in one direction and "off" in another.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

zward

Ha well ended up having the clutch lever on backwards... ::) The little knob wasnt acting as stop in the back position as it's supposed to. I would've sworn they were on that way when I toke them off  ;D