Geomexus reel TX-15

Started by retiredandfishing, March 06, 2021, 11:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Got two Gomexus reels into the shop the other day.  Never worked on one nor saw one before.  These are lever drag reels, model TX 15..  Fairly simple designs.  5 bearings in all in each, plus an anti reverse bearing. The bearings were all fairly sloppy or rough and very hard to get the covers off.  So I gave up trying to save them and bought new ones from VXB bearings.  

However I could not find any bearing that may take a better thrust (axial) load than the normal radial thrust bearing, for the pinion bearings, so tried the higher priced radials instead.  But, I find that even a slightly overweight setting can cause these bearings to bind some, so I'm sure they won't work for too long.  They will work within the tolerance's needed to play a fish though, but any heavier than needed drag settings appear to cause binding you can feel.

Not sure if this in inherent in the design or not.  But would not think so. Sizes are 6x15x5 mm and 6x19x6 mm.  Yes, they are the same model number reels but each has a different pinion bearing size.  Must have been a design change.

In any case my dealings with buying bearings have been to this point relatively straight forward in that I always bought designated replacements, identified for that particular reel. But, Gomexus is not well represented here in the US and they have to order the parts directly from the factory in China. But so far have not been able to help me.  They keep saying they will help but I get no action.  So I'm thinking this is a part of "you get what you pay for".  I can find no reference to Gomexus at all on any bearing supplier I have found.  Wondering if anyone has a bearing supplier who might be able to help.  

Thanks, Steve

RowdyW

Have you tried Boca Bearing in Florida?         Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

The reel/bearings are PRC - so just measure then buy METRIC bearings :-\

retiredandfishing

I have an email into Boca, but could not find anything on their site.  All bearings are metric. used a metric digital caliper to measure with and ordered from the metric part of the VBX site.

There are some manufacturers of lever drag reels, such as Penn, who began some time back, to have produced for them bearings that will take an axial load (thrust) better than regular radial bearings produced for fishing reels. This was due to having to replace the pinion bearings so often on the older lever drags.  It is those suppliers I'd like to get in contact with, since I cannot order from the manufacturer. Thought someone might know who that is.

Thanks, Steve

retiredandfishing

FYI.  Spoke to two bearings suppliers. Boca and VXB both tell me they do not have bearings that will take more axial pressure than the radial bearings they sell..  Increasing the abec rating just assures less friction and will not affect ability to withstand axial pressure. 

I'm going to continue my search to find bearings that can be used well for pinion bearings in lever drags other than model specific bearings the big reel manufacturers have made for them. 

I'll post back what I find.  Would be nice to find a supplier that could supply these type bearings without going to the manufacturer or their reps.

retiredandfishing

So VXB called me back.  They would be willing to produce a bearing that is stressed for thrust on one side for $25 a piece.  Trouble is they cannot make it in stainless steel, only chrome steel.