Penn 67 black sideplates

Started by AlasKen, March 07, 2021, 01:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I bought a $5 reel at garage sale.  I buy any Penn for less than $10 I see.  Ask family to do the same.  Worse case I get parts.  Alaska has a lot of old Penn's and a lot of people sell them cheap when they buy something new. 

A few years ago I got this reel.  The only marking is Penn 67.  It is black side, 6 posts and open top.  It uses bushings instead of bearings.  Would this be the longbeach 67.  That is the only schematic I found.  It was in pretty good shape inside.  Seemed to have been serviced and lubed.  The only thing I found interesting was it had bar on fiber washers, assume HT-100.  There were 4 fiber and 3 metal.  2 fibers were back to back with no metal between.  I assume for spacing reasons.  Any concerns goin back that way.  I have never fished this reel.  I will use this as a guest reel on my boat.  Probably bottom fishing for halibut or lingcod.  Any thouGhts on this reel as too age?

Swami805

You're right, long beach 67. If you can post a few pictures someone could ball park the age.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Ya, sounds like a 67 LB, very stout. I'd load with 40 mono and dare a fish to break it.

Bill B

Quote from: thorhammer on March 07, 2021, 04:23:16 AM
Ya, sounds like a 67 LB, very stout. I'd load with 40 mono and dare a fish to break it.

What John said.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Wompus Cat

Here is a Schematic from Mystic that shows how the Drags are Suppose to be oriented/placed/installed/in Right...lol

Close up of Drag Stack
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Gfish

I found a thrift store 67. Nice Long Beach. Relatively strong frame and high line capacity, with more gear torque than I was used to.
It came with 2- fat asbestos drag washers, combined with 2-red fiber washers; 1-under the gear and 1- as another drag stack washer. I got 5---6-60 HT 100's to go in there.
6 frame posts-good, but only 2-stand screws/side-not so good. Should be tough enough for for 10-15 lbs. of "smooth" drag pressure, though.

Also, I got a NIB, LB 66, with that same drag arrangement. Catalog was a 30B dated 1967. Basically a narrower version of the 67. Having tested both reels, the 2-asbestos, 1-red fiber drag stack is not too smooth and outta be changed out if you're gonna fish it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AlasKen

Photo of reel.  I found after cleaning and servicing it actually said Longbeach on the reel.  Interested in how to tell age.

Gfish

Don't know fer sure. I remember Mo thought the drag stack in mine and several he had was a '60's thing. My ol' man had asbestos in his tool box for gasket material back then before the danger was knowen. Maybe yours was upgraded by the last owner. Others here will be able to estimate the date, but they may need more photos. That 1967 30B catalog lists drag friction washers for all their reels as one of 3 types: Leather, Brk. Lng.(Brake Lining?), and Fibre(used as an "in the gear" drag stack washer in the 130 and the Long Beach series).

Been looking through the 30B catalog today---a very detailed and informative document.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cuttyhunker

Penn ran the 67 from 1939 to 99, the black knob says 90's, the drag stack has been altered from factory unless it was a Monday or Friday reel.  Carbontex washers would be a plus or upgrade to a 5 stack system.
Doomed from childhood