fathom 25N and 40N

Started by Bill B, March 07, 2021, 01:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Made it down to Charkbait this morning for the 20-70% sale. Picked up a Fathom 25NLD2 and a 40NLD2.  Couldn't wait to put them through their paces.  Now I will admit the lever drag and 2 speed is all new to me, so setting the pre-set and drag is taking a while but here is what I'm getting so far without any pre-service.  Take a look at the photographs to see what I'm talking about while moving the lever drag....

25N is giving 3lbs at #1, 4 lbs at#2, 8lbs at #3, 11lbs at KE (last 2 letters for "Strike"), 12lbs at RI, 18lbs at ST, and 27lbs at Full.  Free spool with an empty spool was 1 minute, without cleaning the spool bearings.

40N is giving 5lbs at #1, 11lbs at #2, 17lbs at #3, 23lbs at KE, 24lbs at RI, 26lbs at ST, and maxing my 27lb scale at Full.  Free spool with an  empty spool was 1:54 minutes, again without cleaning the spool bearings.

General observations:  Both handles seem to take a little effort to turn, when compared to a Jigmaster, when set at strike.  Not much, but not as free as a Senator or jigmaster......maybe too much grease in the gear case? The effort is almost nothing in low gear. 

When levering from Strike to Full takes a little effort, again not much but noticeable.  

The wife gave her approval when I unboxed them, saying "They look good, I really like to black color much better than the gold ones"....guess that made it ok, especially when I showed her the new Okuma PCH rods to go with them 😁. Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Bill those are gonna make a couple killer set ups for wide range of species!

What are you gonna spool then up with?

Pj

Bill B

Was thinking of 65 braid/40 mono for the 25N and 100/60 for the 40N.  I'm wide open for suggestions...Bill

Rivverrat

What your feeling is completely normal with most all 2 speed reels when set toward the higher end of their strike range. The 40N Fathom in my mind is a reel for 60 just barely. But what do I know I've never been fishing where your going. Many use it for 80... Jeff

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 07, 2021, 02:05:16 AM
Was thinking of 65 braid/40 mono for the 25N and 100/60 for the 40N.  I'm wide open for suggestions...Bill

I think you're right on with the 25N.....

Maybe drop down the 40N to 80# just to get more capacity......

MarkT

I wouldn't load the 40 with 100# unless it's Maxcuatro or one of the other super thin lines.  No need if you're fishing 60#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

I just ordered a Fathom 40NLD2 from Squidco. Had them fill it with 80# Daiwa J Braid. Going to mount it on my pHD760X2H.
I Love new gear !

Cool

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Bill B

Yes I was thinking of 80 lb, I like the idea of the additional yardage....80 it is....thanks guys.....Bill

MarkT

Quote from: CooldadE on March 07, 2021, 04:19:37 AM
I just ordered a Fathom 40NLD2 from Squidco. Had them fill it with 80# Daiwa J Braid. Going to mount it on my pHD760X2H.
I Love new gear !

Cool

Perfect combo!

Brewcrafter

Those are a couple of sweet reels Bill!  They are going to give you good service.  I'm with Mark on the heavy outfit...
Quote from: MarkT on March 07, 2021, 04:17:45 AM
I wouldn't load the 40 with 100# unless it's Maxcuatro or one of the other super thin lines.  No need if you're fishing 60#.
It sounds like those rigs will really perform for you! - john

alantani

go with 65 pound braid on the 25N and 80 pound braid on the 40N. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

10-4 on the 80 lb braid.....now for the loaded question......how long of a top shot? 

Gfish

Like Jeff says, there should be some handle friction at strike, on a 2-speed LD in high gear. Also should be some effort on the lever going from strike to full(sunset). Interesting the diffrence in spool spin times between the two...check the "pre-set" drag range when testing, both set at the two extremes(loose & tight) for their prespcetive drag ranges, i.e. set both at low drag range, test 'em,  then both at high drag range and test.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on March 07, 2021, 04:57:57 PM
10-4 on the 80 lb braid.....now for the loaded question......how long of a top shot? 

i have 25 yards of mono or fluoro on all of my reels.  i don't mix mono and fluoro together on the same reel.  it's one or the other. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

I put a mono topshot on just about everything.  I'll tie on a few feet of fluoro with a surgeons knot if necessary.  YT and schoolie YFT, Dorado, etc don't care! You probably need a fluoro leader for BFT.  My cow rigs have 25 feet of fluoro tied to the spectra.