line ratings on rods

Started by quabbin boy 62, March 08, 2021, 08:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quabbin boy 62

will i damage a 9' surf rod rated 8-20lb (braid) by fishing 30 lb powerpro with it? already have both, like to try it but don't want to break the rod thanks, guys.

MarkT

Use whatever you want.  The rod doesn't care about the line, only the amount of drag you use.  If it's rated 8-20 then it's probably a 6-12 in terms of mono or 2-4# of drag.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JasonGotaProblem

No, but it might not cast as well. Key word might. It may be just fine. There's a thread somewhere about just how subjective and inconsistent these ratings are. I know that's not helpful, but neither are the ratings.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Rivverrat

Both prior ansewrs are good. Get your self a good set of drag scales. They don't need to be exact.
Doesn't matter if they show 10 lbs. as 30 as long as they can repeat the same with 10 lbs. or what known amount of weight is used.

One must know what drag level is
used if you wish to get the most from your gear. Unless of course losing the fish of a life time doesn't matter.

Most are surprised how much 10 lbs. Of drag is when they feel it the first time. by pulling line off the reel. Drag should be set at a 1/3  to 30 % of line rating.

Eventually 30 line & under can be set by feel after using scales a bit.

As Mark stated this is most important... Jeff

philaroman

w/ 30# braid, the heaviest topshot/leader/"terminal thing"
isn't likely to be more than 20#-test, so it's within rod specs that way ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on March 08, 2021, 10:38:43 PM
w/ 30# braid, the heaviest topshot/leader/"terminal thing"
isn't likely to be more than 20#-test, so it's within rod specs that way ;D

True, however I've had many new rods come apart fishing them within their rated specs. Been some time ago. Most likely never happen with a mid to high quality rod made today... Jeff 

oc1

I don't pay any attention to the line rating because nobody can explain what it means.  I look for a rod with the right lure weight rating.
-s

oldmanjoe

I don`t like labels on my rods , first thing to come off on a rebuild.
  String size does not break sticks.
  You did not say if there was a reel change for the larger braid ,"bigger diameter spool"
  That may change your casting distance ..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

I use my rods to the line, if the line is stronger than 30Lbs, then point the rod at the fish more, if you concerned about casting distance, 12 strand braid will cast much further than 4 strand, 12 is much smoother, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Jeri

Quote from: quabbin boy 62 on March 08, 2021, 08:20:38 PM
will i damage a 9' surf rod rated 8-20lb (braid) by fishing 30 lb powerpro with it? already have both, like to try it but don't want to break the rod thanks, guys.

Try both line weights, test and see what the response of the rod is during casting performance. That will give you an idea of optimum for what you are looking for. If lure/weight snap off is the issue, then just add a braid casting leader. Lighter braids tend to cast further, and PowerPro tends to be thicker and heavier than most.

Test first, then decide.

boon

Quote from: oc1 on March 09, 2021, 04:34:05 AM
I don't pay any attention to the line rating because nobody can explain what it means.  I look for a rod with the right lure weight rating.
-s

It's bizarre isn't it. Especially when you get into rods that have a "PE" rating. PE6 you say... could be anything between about 60lb and 110lb...

Cor

I've never considered rod rating as a factor when deciding upon what line strength to use.
Perhaps it is possible that using 60lb line with a drag that can hold that much on a 20 lb rod may break the rod, but i've never heard of it.

I will consider factors like castability, reel capacity, the amount of damage the line may endure while fishing, snapoff,  the effect of thick line on retrieve speed, maybe guide size versus stiff mono with much memory etc.
Cornelis

quabbin boy 62

ok, thanks for the info. the reel is a 4500 SSVI penn, i have 2 spools for it, one has 12 lb. big game on it, think i'll try the 30lb. on the other. in about a week i'm gonna take a ride down to ri, and see if the schoolies have woken up yet. i've never really fished with braid outside of using it for backing on copper setups for trolling in freshwater, if i like the 30 lb. i'll probably buy 15 or 20 lb next time. leaders for this time of year are usually 15-17 lb. anyway. will a trigger scale work for setting drags?  (got one of those)