2nd hand reels.

Started by wallacewt, January 03, 2012, 04:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

lets start with a 2nd hand 2 speed lever drag
you go to a flea market or garage sale,there is a 2sp.
you cant open it!no tools
scratches,normal wear is ok
wind the handle we all do it
free spool,smooth,can be increased,tlc.
ld,is it smooth to strike
full drag?
smooth change of gears
reel clamp
box+manual+schematics
WHICH BRAND
does the fishing line on the spool look the right size
extreme eg;100lb on a small baitcaster
what am i missing?

alantani

cranks ok?  drags ok?  freespools ok?  buy it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

oh man,just a couple of words and the new topic is history haha

qcguy4198

I look at the screws...if they are "buggered up"...I'll be concerned that somebody has been inside the reel, who may not have known what they were doing.   :-\

Since finding this site.....I've been able to buy a few reels off of yard sale tables with confidence.

Irish Jigger

"Made in USA" or  "Product of Japan"

Bryan Young

Also, cash in hand helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

dobrobill

If the outside looks nasty from what I've seen the inside will be as bad or worst.

Alto Mare

Not necessarily,dobrobill, I had some that cleaned up really nice. If the price is good, take a chance.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

kamuwela

alot depends on your location and how it is used and maintained. here in hawaii the reel's get pretty wet trolling. i have seen numerous reels look great on the outside but cancer on the inside. i recently had a 130vsx that needed a right side plate, the cam pins were hanging up on the bad spots.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 07, 2012, 04:59:00 AM
Not necessarily,dobrobill, I had some that cleaned up really nice. If the price is good, take a chance.
Right Sal. And I've had some that were awful on the outside and really good on the inside.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

hey rob i had the opposite problem looked brand new but needed over $300 in parts. oh and by the way glad to see you back.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: kamuwela on January 07, 2012, 04:59:59 PM
hey rob i had the opposite problem looked brand new but needed over $300 in parts. oh and by the way glad to see you back.

$300?! Ouch! And thanks, it's good to be back.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Nessie Hunter

Used is good....   
Some clean on outside are trash inside and via versa.. 
As long as you put them through the Drill, your pretty safe...

7 Yrs ago I used to buy lots of 10/15 or more Penns on Ebay and through some swap meet guys for no more then $8 apiece ..  My learning tools!!!

They were all fixable, but hard to tell what was wrong..
I never touched them before I bought them. So it was scary at times....

I was in the process of retiring ad had a lot of time on my hands. So it was fun and I spent a lot of time trying to make them pretty!!!   lol

75% of my personal Reels are second hand.....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

You had it spot on from the start Wallace.
Brand is key, of course - there's so much rubbish out there (there is in NZ anyway)...
I'm yet to see a secondhand two-speed lever drag at a flea market though!  ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

you are right of course redsetta but for the sake of the exercise,one i thought of today was a cracked frame.