Choosing a surf rod blank

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 13, 2021, 08:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I'm looking at options. Now this build is at least a few weeks away, I gotta do a hot sauce production run to fund it, but that doesn't mean I can't start planning now.

I'm building it for my hot rodded and polished Penn 750SS that I'm running 40# braid on. I'm probably gonna be throwing ~2oz of lead with live or cut bait mostly, but may toss a few bucktails at sebastian inlet with it. I want 9' or longer.

The two currently at the top of my list are the black hole Suzuki blank and the CRB gator surf blank. I'm open to others as well. I dont wanna break the bank on a blank while I'm still officially in training, so I'd like to stay in the $100 range. I saw the lab test where they bent the Suzuki 180° so I know its tough. But how does it compare for casting?

Definitely gonna be running the polished fuji guides to match this beast.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

thrasher

I would choose a one piece but I have a cargo van for fishing trips. Shipping will be cheaper and a lot easier to transport with a two piece. I never used a graphite gator but love the glass ones.

oldmanjoe

You can come by with your reel , i have 3  , 9  footers  and 2    8 footers .    They are all 2 piece sticks
  There is a large lot close by that you can throw  lead safely to try them out ... 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on March 13, 2021, 11:41:01 PM
  You can come by with your reel , i have 3  , 9  footers  and 2    8 footers .    They are all 2 piece sticks
  There is a large lot close by that you can throw  lead safely to try them out ... 
Sounds like a plan!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Jeri

I think a question you need to ask yourself is: "How am I going to cast?"

Casting styles and the corresponding power that they generate, determine which blanks are best suited to your need. For if the blank isn't up to the power generated then it all ends in tears, or the blank just doesn't respond to the power generated (too soft or 'C' curve).

Given the low weights that you anticipate casting, perhaps a view of some Carp blanks might be more appropriate, or to be included in the equation. We found a 2 piece 12' long blank originally designed for Carp fishing, that had a reasonably stiff bottom section and a moderately parabolic top section ('J' curve), and through some evolution of guides transformed it from a 90 metre rod, up to a 140 metre rod. However, to attain that 140 metre status, we had to really drive the cast hard - almost trying to break it, but it didn't break.

Blanks that bend too much without a point where they 'lock up' are never going to be the best for distance, and pretty much as soon as you have sand on your toes - you wish to cast to the horizon.

Cor

Just one comment that Kilsong will approve of.   During the past 3 years the Blackhole rods have become very popular here.    I don't own one, but from fishing next to guys that have them and making a few casts with them, I can say that they cast extremely well.

If casting is what is important to you I would certainly give them a good look.

Most are 10 - 11 ft rods casting around 3 oz lures.
Cornelis