Magnetic Bearing Puller

Started by BassMatt, January 04, 2012, 02:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassMatt

I have posted this subject before in another post, but then realized it should have been in another post by itself.
The question I have is has anyone thought about using a magnet pickup tool to pull a bearing from a side plate or similar socket that might require a tool or something to pull or remove it???

The plus to this idea is to remove a part without risk of scratching or bending precision parts.
On a bearing, it pulls with uniform pull on both races at the same time.

It's been said and could easy happen that the down side to this is it may cause the part to become magnetized, which could attract unwanted metal wear debris or pieces, but I observed something interesting tonight as I was installing my new cleaned bearings in my side plate socket on my reel. As it set in the socket, the ball bearings moved a little with rotation. Then I realized, my magnetic spool brake was pulling it.

So is having a magnetic brake on the reel bad for bearings? If not, are there any other cons to using a magnet tool to pick small parts? (Other than off the floor of the parts you dropped)

I been using a small magnetic tool to pick bearings on my reels for two years now and never have had any issues. What are any of your thoughts, pros or cons?

inhotpursuit

I would be carefull you might magnetise the bearing races and the ball bearings that might slow it down,otherwise i don't see a problem

alantani

maybe try it, but if can't pop it out easily with a small puller, chances are it will not come out with a magnet.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brendan

I have done it, but never again. One of my reels slowed down a lot and when I pulled the bearing and spun it, once it stopped it actually changed direction. IMO it became magnetized. Maybe no, but I am contacting reelspeed for bearing pullers.
Brendan.

HalBrown

My primary bearing puller is the bent end of a large bobby pin.  It is coated and works.

bluefish69

I use a Dental Pick on the Newell Bearing Caps
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Makule

Quote from: Brendan on January 23, 2012, 10:03:58 PM
I have done it, but never again. One of my reels slowed down a lot and when I pulled the bearing and spun it, once it stopped it actually changed direction. IMO it became magnetized. Maybe no, but I am contacting reelspeed for bearing pullers.
Brendan.

Another method for cast control, perhaps?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Brendan

All I know is it slowed the free spool time down a lot and I'm scared to ever do it again. The whole reason I go through all of my reel routine is to gain casting range since I sit shotgun on most of my fishing trips. I have spent a lot of time and money on bearing upgrades, and want to see constant improvement on free spool time. I feel that I lost some bearings using that technique.
     Just my .02 worth, Brendan.

Jimmer

I think most people with some mechanical training consider magnetizing a bearing to be poor practice. Maybe JGB would commment her, his opinions are highly respectd. - Jimmmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Pro Reel

Quite ofren, a bearing will get magnetized from cleaning it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Simply pass it through a tool demagnetizor or pass it through the flame of a lighter for a few seconds and the heat will demag it.

Jimmer

Holding a bearing with pliers and moving it at different angles through the loop of a plugged in soldering iron will demagnetize as well.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

redsetta

Great advice Kevin/Jimmer - cheers.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

x2. every day something new. ;)