Penn Screw 32-14 - Thread/Pitch?

Started by Marlinmate, March 22, 2021, 02:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

I need to drill and tap a sheared off screw on a 50W Quadrant ring.  This is the center screw.

Anybody know the thread pitch so I can get the correct tap?

I'm guessing 6-32??  or 8-32?

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Cuttyhunker

Don't know offhand, but I'd call Mystic or bring the other screws from the ring to a "real" hardware store to match up for your answer.
Doomed from childhood

Marlinmate

problem is....the two outer screws are a different size.   this is the only screw of that size on the whole reel.

I've got an email into Mystic already.

oldmanjoe

I can not say for sure ,but 5-40 comes to mind .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

A few pictures & part numbers would be handy, I might just have one of them screws, also with pictures we maybe able to work out how to remove the screw, it is hard to drill straight through a screw, good luck cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Marlinmate

Mystic parts to the rescue. 5-40 is the answer

I'll use a #38 drill with a 5-40 tap and pray for the best.

The pic is where the screw is sheared off in the side plate.

oldmanjoe

:)    5-40 can be hard to find . but i did find them in Lowe`s   hardware dept .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

handi2

You can drill and tap all the way through the plate. I don't think it would hurt anything. It would be safer.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marlinmate

the original screw is all the way through the plate.  drill and tap are on order from McMaster Carr