Ocea Jigger Custom F 2000NRHG Mods

Started by sigfla, March 26, 2021, 09:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigfla

Just bought the reel. It came with a custom titanium power handle. Any other mods recommended (increase drag, etc.) for slow pitch jigging bottom fish in the GOM? I see a lot of guys wish for more drag fighting big pelagics but I dunno unless I hook a real monster I am not sure I need it. Would be nice to have though. I see the 4000 has drag plates available and everyone suggests changing to carbon at first service.

Bryan Young

the 2000 should have the same drag washers as Trinidad 16/20/30.  Not sure if it will increase your drag, but it will keep it smooth at all drag settings when greased with Cal's Universal and Drag Grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

It should have greased cross carbon/dartanium II drag washers which are carbon fiber like carbontex, so you should be good to go.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

Other than the handle there's not much worth doing to these. They already have bearings everywhere you could want them, and the drag should already be greased cross-carbon as mentioned.

You could do some "super-tune" style freespool mods like polishing the spool shaft and inside of the pinion gear but considering the F Custom has the fall lever to slow freespool anyway there's probably no point.

sigfla

Thanks all. I cant resist the urge to mod, lol. I'll leave it as is. I am glad to hear it has decent washers in it. I read someplace they used something else and it was good form to swap them out.

boon

The original Ocea Jiggers (4000 and 5000, which look basically like a narrow goldy Trinidad with a big handle) had the horrible original Dartanium washers in them, and you could change them out for Carbontex and even an aftermarket drag plate and get way more drag.

The modern OJs, which are broadly similar to the Trinidad A series, use "Dartanium 2" which is, for our purposes, identical to Carbontex.