113H conversion and issue

Started by AlasKen, March 26, 2021, 11:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I have what I refer to as an Alantani.com 113H.  It started off as a 113HLW.  I added Cortez Conversions red side plates, a black Tiburon frame and spool from Vintage Offshore Tackle, a double dog bridge and stainless yoke and gears from Pro Challenger, lug blanks from Keta, blade, handle and eccentric lever from Maxed Out, and drags from Smooth Drag.  At least this is my best recollection as I bought most items in 2016 and just found the time to finish it. 

Now for the issue.  It seems the pinion is dragging a bit and the free-spool lever is rough when going into free spool.  Symptoms include a tight and rough feel when moving the lever into free spool.  Going from free spool into gear lever feels smoother.  When in free spool and I turn the handle I can feel something rubbing and slightly rough.  When going from free spool into gear I have that same rubbing/rough feel until I thumb the spool and then I feel the pinion engage the spool and then everything is smooth.  When in free spool spinning the spool by hand it is smooth.  When I remove the side plate there is no issues when the lever is in free spool or engaged and I turn the handle, smooth and no rubbing.  I tried adjusting the spool bearings from pretty tight with no spool movement to pretty loose with quite I bit of side to side movement and couldn't tell much if any difference.  I feel no difference with light or heavy drag.

Any thoughts on where to go from here are appreciated.  A couple of photos are attached.

MarkT

I'd check the pinion and the shoulder on the spool that it fits over and make sure there aren't any burrs and that it's all smooth.  Make sure it's all smooth and engages cleanly out of the reel then try it again.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Shifting - take a look at the eccentric spring as it goes into the round eccentric shifter mechanism.  You may need to grind it down flat as the wire may be binding with the eccentric.

Rattling against the pinion gear - you may need to move the spool further to the left by screwing the side plate screw in further or add a shim under the right spool bearing.

Beautiful Reel!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

Yes on what Bryan suggested

Your build turned out awesome Ken. You're right, it's unmistakably an "Alan Tani special", but still one of a kind !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AlasKen

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 27, 2021, 12:04:07 AM
Shifting - take a look at the eccentric spring as it goes into the round eccentric shifter mechanism.  You may need to grind it down flat as the wire may be binding with the eccentric.

Rattling against the pinion gear - you may need to move the spool further to the left by screwing the side plate screw in further or add a shim under the right spool bearing.

Beautiful Reel!!!

Can you explain further on how to shim?  These plates do not have an adjustment screw on the right (handle side) so in order to move the spool left I would need to shim.  Is this something I can order or do I need to fabricate it?  What material are the shims?  Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  Ken

Bryan Young

Ken,

These are either Nylon or Acetel washers. Pm me your address and I'll send you a few in different thicknesses. You will need to try different combinations until you find one that spaces correctly. All trial and trial until you can get it.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wompus Cat

I have run into this problem a few times on some of my Builds and while I am not a Shim Guy sometimes it is all you can do BUT since there is No eccentric to adjust end play on the handle side with the New side plates and the bearing caps seem to allow more depth on some than others you run into the Spool Arbor touching the pinion in free spool .
Seen Here

What you need is some space between the Pinion and the Spool arbor when in Free Spool like here

Make sure when in free Spool that the Gear is compressed as far as it will go and should be below the surface of the Bridge assy.

like this

If not you can bend the tangs on the bottom of the Brass yoke to achieve more depth.

IF you installed a New Pinion measure it with the old one and see if it is Taller ? Even a smidgeon makes a difference and I have actually had to file them down to fit properly on the engagement side.

Shimming either the outer Bearing cap where it presses into the sideplate with a piece of Monofilament or Removing the Bearing and placing  a shim down inside the cap  to move the Bearing out to get the gap you need are both options and you will of course need to offset that on the other side when re assembling .
I have had similar problems getting the proper adjustment on the other side as well and that is another story which  will make you pull hair out too.

As for the roughness in moving the eccentric for free spool can be a hair puller also and the above mentioned fixes usually take care of it.
I mark everything with a marks a lot and move the lever around a few times and look for shiny spots and have used a piece of Teflon Tape in the Groove of the Eccentric to get it Smooth.

Final note before you put it all back together. Put the Spool in the Handle Side  /move the eccentric to Free Spool and spin the spool.
It should spin Freelly with no abrasion even with a little down pressure .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Maxed Out

Also make sure the yoke isn't upside down
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AlasKen

Thanks all.  Good information and a place to start troubleshooting.

Gfish

That issue Bryan & Ted were talkin bout. Yesterday, I opened a good functioning Jiggy 505 HS. The eccentric jack had a kinda deep 1/4-circle gouge in it, caused by that spring tip sticking proud a the eccentric. Person before me prolly had rough shifting at first, then wore it in. Used a dremel to grind it down. JMO, that's where I'd look first.
This reel is too good to donate, IMO, the the spool bearings spin that spool with line on it, a looooong time. Not used heavily, a sturdy, fast version of the Jigmaster. Needs a good home, and a SS bridge sleeve upgrade(old brass one is in fine condition, but you know...)
Anyone interested?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AlasKen

Just to follow up. 
Rough shifting to free spool was caused by the eccentric spring rubbing on the side plate.  It appeared that when I installed I did not insert it all the way into the eccentric.  I could see that the spring had rubbed on the frame.  When I pushed it in tight into the eccentric the problem went away.

Pinion gear rubbing on spool was corrected with a .016 shim under the bearing.  At least as measured with my cheap calipers.  Of course without thinking things through I tried the larger shim at .030 and it worked then I thought "I wonder if the thinner one would also work"? so took it apart again and it worked.  My thanks again to all who gave good suggestions.  Special thanks to Brian for the shims.  Ken

thorhammer

Quote from: Gfish on March 27, 2021, 10:22:27 PM
That issue Bryan & Ted were talkin bout. Yesterday, I opened a good functioning Jiggy 505 HS. The eccentric jack had a kinda deep 1/4-circle gouge in it, caused by that spring tip sticking proud a the eccentric. Person before me prolly had rough shifting at first, then wore it in. Used a dremel to grind it down. JMO, that's where I'd look first.
This reel is too good to donate, IMO, the the spool bearings spin that spool with line on it, a looooong time. Not used heavily, a sturdy, fast version of the Jigmaster. Needs a good home, and a SS bridge sleeve upgrade(old brass one is in fine condition, but you know...)
Anyone interested?

AlasKen

Quote from: Gfish on March 27, 2021, 10:22:27 PM
Anyone interested?

I might be.  Let me know by pm what your thoughts are.  I have a 500 I got on eBay.  The left side plate was broke where the bushing screws on and missing a screw.  I'll use it as a parts reel.  I don't need a reel but I don't have a good jig master.

Donnyboat

Hi Ken, speeking of the jigmaster, cracked plate, if you get some two pack epoxy, mix some flat black paint with it, then build it up on the inside, after it sets, then fill the crack in on the outside, it should be good, good luck cheers Don,
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Ken, what color plate? If I have one I'll send it on.

Greg, re my PM, if Ken wants the 505, let him hold it. I have beaucoup jigmasters and he'll be more likely to use it.