Removing/preserving clear coat and/or paint, etc.

Started by JasonGotaProblem, March 30, 2021, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Just as an aside, while you are contemplating trying different positions for your first guide, try casting with the first guide missing, it might just surprise you.

oldmanjoe

If that stick is a fast tip , he may be able to leave off the big stripper and still have good static test .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

First 2 have already been wrapped on in new location, or I would totally do that test. I love experimentation so I considered removing it and doing it anyway but i did an inlay on that wrap and it looks really good (by my standards) so I don't wanna pull it. I couldn't get any useable video last night but I'm quite happy with this new setup. Last night was the first time I've cleared 100 yds on a non-surf rod while testing it throwing a 2oz lead (10 mph tail wind didn't hurt). I may need to be cognizant that this reel only has 150 yds on the spool.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on April 07, 2021, 01:53:41 PM
Last night was the first time I've cleared 100 yds on a non-surf rod

non a surprise on a good balanced combo= weight + rod + line

you might surprise few guys casting much far than them with their long a heavy surf rods, problem is people want to cast 2oz lures on a broom sticks and want to reach 100yds mark or more or use expensive surf rods but dont know how to cast them.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Rod is built. It got epoxy-ed and spun last night. When it's dine curing I'll very excitedly do some test casts. I swapped a reducer guide size at the last second for one I thought would make for better flow, and didn't test it before wrapping. I may come to regret that, but that's part of the fun. And I can always redo it if it fails miserably.

Also is there any way to remove bubbles after the fact without cutting off the guide and redoing it? Got a few surprises this morning.

Swami805

Slice off the top of the bubble and do a 2nd coat is the only way I know.  If you can get the bubble flush that would be best. Bubbles can appear anytime until the expo you sets
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on April 09, 2021, 02:09:33 PM
Also is there any way to remove bubbles after the fact without cutting off the guide and redoing it? Got a few surprises this morning.

with the superlight coating you are trying to achieve what SHeridan described it might be difficult to do without touching the threads but IT is the only way, but dont worry, try that and if you dont like the final job just take that guide off and wrap it again, its a win-win job, either way you will learn something new.

The Baja Guy

oc1

Using a hot air gun to reduce the viscosity can make the bubbles come to the surface and pop before the epoxy sets.

steelfish

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on April 09, 2021, 02:09:33 PM

can you post a pic of those bubbles? its easier to give an advice when you can see the problem
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Pic doesn't do justice. Looks worse IRL. The rest are ok.

steelfish

did you already scraped it trying to cut the hardened bubbles or it was like that when it dried?

The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: steelfish on April 09, 2021, 08:40:23 PM
did you already scraped it trying to cut the hardened bubbles or it was like that when it dried?

This is what i woke up to this morning. I had applied heat to all the wraps last night after wrapping to try to prevent this. Its possible I missed this one. I am itching to test cast it.

steelfish

I dont see any bubble there, maybe there are they and just dont show on the picture

I would just apply some heat from a lighter to burn those "hairs" or pluffy from the threads, then I would add a tad of epoxy and apply more heat to make it thinner, pretty sure the guide wrap job will look better and still with not much epoxy.
The Baja Guy

JasonGotaProblem

Alright, so if I cast with the spool at thw top of the stroke there's no line slap. If I do it at the bottom, no line slap. In the middle: line slap. Not much, but it's there (edit: optical illusion). But dang this thing casts. 100 yds on a 7'6" rod is a thing now. I kinda suck at casting so I'm pretty happy with that. This was time well spent.

Also I'm liking my curing process. 6 hours on the roller with my AC set at 72° then an afternoon in my hot car (the honda oven) and it's rock solid. I'm probably not the first to think of this.