Spiral wrap degree wheel

Started by gstours, March 31, 2021, 03:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

It seems like this is A place to start when laying out the guides for the transition.
   Here's what I came up with,   Easy,  low cost, reusable, handy.
The scrapbox of reel parts had a stand that caught me eye 👁.   A scrap of cedar would be easy to shape.
    Epoxy is everyone's friend.  A screw or two.   

gstours

The shiny plate fits in the reel seat.  After locating the top, vertical,    Make a wire pointer and adjust to this mark.   Zero.
   The other marks  are giving you a visual and can be adjusted as desired.   In this case I,m using the red marks for my transition.    Try it,  you'll like it.   

Tiddlerbasher

Gary, I've always used one these, glue to a piece of card. Punch a hole in the middle - hole size to fit the smallest rod diameter.

oldmanjoe

???        That`s a degree wheel for setting cam shafts  , Are we going to start measuring the over lap between the stripper and the bumper guides . ::)

That is a good size to print out for fishing rods
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Tiddlerbasher

gstours

Tanks for your interest in overhead valve engines.   I cant seem to find the link to the printable pdf.   butt its here somewhere on this site as we have talked about it before.   if you fire the engine before top dead center the magneto must be adjusted accordingly......gst :D

gstours

Ok, thanks,   now we have Two!  I knew its here butt was in hurry and failed again. :(
Instructions for use - Acidrod.com  has a degree wheel layout and some info,  to acess a PDF search in Degree wheel on home page.
  I,m not very good on computer stuff,   butt you can findit there.   Its printable and might help?

gstours

You can copy this or print your own,  just saying.✍️🎣

steelfish

I might be wrong (nothing new) but I never saw the practical use of the spiral degree wheel or an acid wrap, in the few rods I have spiral wrapped the transitions guides (2nd and 3rd) are positioned after checking the static test on the rod and on a degree that each rod dictate, depending on how aggressive is the bend / flex on the rod, the 2nd guide in order to really work needs to be positioned at the degree where it touch the line the most of the time not at 45* or 38* and the next at 90* because that what its market on the "formula" same deal with the rest of the transition guides, remember if your line doesnt touch the eye of the guide, then that guide doesnt have a reason to be positioned in that place.
so, if Im not going to follow any written formulas for the spiral transition then I not need that degree wheel, or maybe Im missing something but so far so good with my acid rods.

Gary, also check that transition guides "could" be positioned on a odd spacing after the stripper guide in order to really work, you might find in the static test that sometimes the eye of 2nd guide is never touched by the fishing line and it goes on a straight way from stripper line to the 3rd guide, if thats the case you need to move few inches the 2nd guide until find where it actually touch the line and make the blank to "work" on that place too, some guys just go for the "revolver" style of acid wrap which is 0*, 45*, 90*, 135* and 180* and leave it like that with a normal spacing between guides, but I found (along many, a lot of other rodsmithers) that formula doesnt work the best for all blanks, actually none of my rods have the revolver style of acid wrap.

The Baja Guy