Salina, Cedros spinner drag washers available yet?

Started by CaptKev, January 07, 2012, 01:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKev

I'm still fishing a half dozen Salina SA65 for Albies here in the PNW.  I was wondering if Dawn has made a set of drag washers for these reels? If not, what the latest HT-100 washers I should be using?

I never thought I'd get so much use out of these reels! As long as parts are available, I'll keep fishing them. I was going to replace them this year, but now thinking I'll just change the handles to Alan's upgrades. I use them for castng swimbaits, but have used them for dropping iron on troll stops. Guessing these other Okuma models have the same washers in the same size based on my search of the site:
Avenger
Cedros
Epixor
Coronado
Salina
Eclipz
Travertine
Lexan
and probably more models

Kevin

Bryan Young

For the 65 series reels, it takes Three HT-100 #6-7000 and custom cut 34 X 57 mm carbontex drag washer.  I cannot recall which one was used but Dawn should be able to match something up given that these are the sizes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dawn

I have not been able to do Okuma drags, although i would love to.

I spent a day going through all their schematics getting the drag part numbers, called to make an order, and was told that I had to have
the reel to order, as they needed a number off each reel.  Obviously I don't own every reel.  I asked couldn't they go by part number and was
told no, and they can't just use the reel model either.
  If anyone knows how to get around this I'd like to know.  Or if you own the reels and have the special secret number  ;) and can order the drags, I can pay you for them if you can send them to me.  Maybe I can work up an inventory this way.

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

stay tuned.  i send an e-mail to john bretza at okuma.  i am hoping this can pave the way.......

hi, john.  dawn is the nice lady that owns smoothdrag.com.  she is very active on my board an has been very helpful with alot of different reels.  she had spoken to someone at okuma when she was trying to get drag parts.  she would like to make a line of aftermarket drag washers for the okuma reels that do not have carbon fiber.  the guys were not really able to help her.  i see this as a win/win situation for you and smoothdrag.com.  is this something that you could help with?  i think it would be great to see the older reels upgraded.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hi Dawn,

This is what we have so far.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1628.0.  I had only referenced HT-100s because that is what was available at the time.  I'll get you my reel info if John cannot help.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CaptKev

Hi Dawn, I'll send you a spool and or reel if you like? I've got SA 40s and SA 65s. Let me know.

Dawn

Hi
Why don't we start with the exact reel model number and any numbers you find on it, I think they said it was on the reel foot, but I'm not sure, it was quite awhile back when I spoke to them.
Maybe if I have that info I can try to order some direct from them.

Dawn
Dawn

Bryan Young

I'll get you my reel models and whatever number is on the reel tonight.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CaptKev

Dawn, I'll be headed to the boat this weekend (6 hours away). I'll grab a 40 and 65 series reel for you. Address?

I saw Charkbait carries Okuma's Raw spin reels which advertise carbon fiber washers. I could not find a schematic online. Maybe Okuma has already read the almighty Alan Tani's gospel? ::)

Kevin

Dawn

Okuma says they have carbon fiber replacements for many of their reels, you might want to check with them.

Smooooth Drag
13312 Ranchero Rd Ste18 #267
Oak Hills, CA 92344

Dawn
Dawn

bnz

I've bought the carbontex washers for my VSystem and Cedros spinning reels from Dawn before.  The VSystem and Cedros washer sizes are the same throughout the range so I would think a corresponding Salina would be no different.

For the V-55 and 55S Cedros I purchased the carbontex #70 (1) and #23 (3)
For the V-65 a TLD 20/25  65.60 x 19.95 and #23 (3)
For the V-40: 44mm OD, 16mm ID, .8 mm thick (1), 22.5mm OD, 8mm ID, .8mm thick (3)
V30:    40.5mm OD 21mm ID, .8mm thick , 22.5mm OD, 8mm ID, .8mm thick (3)
V20:  35mm OD, 20mm ID, .8mm thick, 21mm OD, 9mm ID, .8mm

I did have to cut some of these down to size to get them to fit properly.

inhotpursuit

Hi from Canada Dawn i have a few drag sizes that i believe you do not stock
Okuma Citrix baitcaster model Ci-254V and Ci-273V primary washer is 31mmx16mmx1mm i modified a #48
secondary washer is #6
Shimano scorpion DC baitcaster, primary washer 31mmx12mmx1mm modified #48 secondary washer is#26x1mm
Daiwa T31016HL-HW /T3 ballistic baitcaster,primary washer is already carbontex secondary washer is#26
US reels Supercaster Hibdon 810SX baitcaster, primary washer #40x1.25mm secondary washer is #11
US reels Supercaster sx230 sx240 spinning reels, washers are 3 x#8
spool bearings for upgrades are as follows
Okuma Citrix spool pinion 5x11x4 side bearing 3x10x4
Shimano scorpion DC spool bearings 2 each 3x10x4
US reels Hibdon 810SX bushing replacement under spool tension knob 3x8x4 pinion spool bearing is 5x11x4 and side bearing is 3x8x4
Daiwa T3 spool bearings are 5x11x4 pinion and 3x10x4 side bearing
Here are some photo's of the T3 drags you cannot see it in the picture because it is clear plastic but there is a washer in the centre of the rachet that holds the stock fibre washer in place,hope these are of help to you. Kenny

on the stock T3 drag one of the washers is just cheap fibre and held in place with a flimsy plastic washer

the fibre washer was thrown out along with the plastic spacer and replaced with a #26 carbontex  then given a good coating of cals drag grease the result is a powerfull super smooth drag

the okuma was given the same treatment and also has a super smooth and powerfull drag

the scorpion has by far the larger rachet washer and drive gear, the drag surface area is a good 25% larger than the other two reels

Dawn

Dawn