Penn No. 49 Deep Sea Reel

Started by Landon94, April 11, 2021, 06:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landon94

Good Afternoon Everyone, I am new here, and I live in Virginia near VA Beach.

I have a older Penn No. 49 Deep Sea Reel. It was a family friends years ago and basically just let it at my house and has never wanted it back. I purchased my first  boat last summer, 2003 Key West 2300 CC and have been fished almost every weekend last summer until new years. I am finally getting back on the water and trying to build up my selection of equipment. I am now rebuilding that No49.

I took everything apart this morning and did a super deep clean, and am now ready to reassemble. After stumbling upon this forum, I have put a plan together, and wanted to see what you guys see/recommend.

I will be mainly using it for trolling for Rockfish, most of the ones i catch are under 36", and trolling for Spanish Mackeral. I am sure I will use it here and there for other situations. And I will more than likely be using braid. I use spider wire camo braid in 50-65lb with a 40lb fluorocarbon leader when trolling.

I will be reassembling the reel with carbontex drag washers, will buy new metal drag washer, also, it looks like the way to go is a carbontex or OEM 113 washer under the main gear? what else do you recommend? and what are the parts # for what I listed?

Again, I am looking to improve the reel and get a better overall product, but not looking to modify the reel, I have seen some very impressive medications, but not anything that I am looking to do.

akfish

Once you upgrade the drag with Carbontex washers, you're probably set as long the rest of the reel is in good shape. The reel will handle 30# and 40# lines pretty well. The aluminum spool makes it a better reel because the older steel spools go out of round frequently, especially when used with mono. If you wanted to go all out, you could add a steel gear sleeve and upgraded handle, but in my opinion a stock 49 with carbon fiber drag washers is a very fishable reel. 
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

I agree with AKfish. You are good to go.
Assuming the brass gear sleeve is solid and the handle has no play, you can fish that reel with 40# for yonks. I would be tempted to put a nicer handle on it depending on what it has now. One of the Jigmaster or 112H power handles would go well.

If the handle is loose at all, I would get a new gear sleeve. You could do just fine with brass, but the stainless ones are lovely. I recommend fine threads regardless and either a 66 or 505 star, which are larger than what you have now. With the height of that reel, a clamp is great insurance.

Can't wait to see pictures of the fish you catch!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Maxed Out

Welcome to the forum !! Congrats on your new boat

IMHO, Carbontex for an under the gear friction washer is not the smoothest option.

I'd use a derlin washer under the main gear. Much smoother thru the drag range, and will last longer too

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

What these guys^^^^say.  I still fish the 49's for Florida Grouper and Cape Cod Bass and Blues.  If you (probably) do not have the aluminum spool a braid dacron backing would be wise, maybe 50 or 80 test.  Most shops don't carry the dac any more, so get it online.  The lower lever that disconnects the anti reverse can be injurious if a big fish hits with the anti disconnected hence the term knuckle buster.  Whenever I have doubts about the abilities of my guests I tie off that lever with a little twine to the cross post "locking" the reel into the anti reverse mode.  Good capable reels, hi speed, like a skinny 6/0 Special senator.  Keep the bushings lubed.
Doomed from childhood

thorhammer

The part numbers are in schematic when you go to Mystic parts to order. Normally there is a key for full drag washer set, metals, carbontex and undergear. Just get the kit- cheaper and simply easy. The 49 is a cool reel- not for everyone, it's a specialty niche- which exacty suits your purpose. I just loaded one with dacron and added a massive handle from Ted (Maxed Out, above) for a kite / teaser reel. i have others for leadcore and wire striper trolling. The 24-49 handle you have is the largest non-power or counterbalanced handle. They are very nice and sought after, but I agree with the others that a 24-56 powerhandle is great here, or one of the custom options available on the forum. I don't think the 24-112 (3/0) is going to gain you much. Dimensionally and grip-wise, it's barely different from a 24-49 with the counter balance end cut off.

akfish

One more thought: If you are thinking of upgrading the spool to aluminum, think about it carefully: To use the newer aluminum spool in an older model 49, you also need a new bridge or be willing to do some serious grinding of the bottom edge of the bridge. Note too that aluminum spools and bridges are quite expensive these days since the reel has been discontinued for about 20 years.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Landon94

Thanks everyone for the input! Very bad photos, as I am rebuilding the reel now. But this is what my reel, and handle look like! I will definitely be updating to the new style of drag washer. Not too sure about the power handle yet, but will definitely look into them!

Also, where would I want to look for to find a stainless steel gear sleeve? I have seen videos online of people installing them. Looks like all that I would need to do is punch the pin out, install a new sleeve and new pin? No modifications or other parts needed other than that?

Landon94

Also, I believe my spool is steel with chrome on it?

thorhammer

prolly chrome over brass.  when you order drag kit, look for the SS aftermarket sleeve in the same part listing. it will designated as such, prolly with a prefix of AT, CC, PC (all members here).

Landon94

Also, Is the aluminum spool worth it? I see it is $45 on mystic, which doesn't bother me, just didn't know if it is worth it? What does it improve? Sorry for being so green about this lol.

thorhammer

trolling in a rod holder to catch a few fish a day isn't going to tire you out by not having alum. spool, if yours works. for another ten bucks you could prolly find another 49, complete. I have both,  no impact, in the way you intend to use.  What i wouldn't do, is spool straight mono on any three piece spool, without 20-30 yards of dacron on it. braid works too, just tape the arbor so it won't slip

Cuttyhunker

Early 50's reel, has numbers and a notched reel clamp.
Doomed from childhood

JoseCuervo

Quote from: Landon94 on April 12, 2021, 05:56:47 PM
Also, Is the aluminum spool worth it? I see it is $45 on mystic, which doesn't bother me, just didn't know if it is worth it? What does it improve? Sorry for being so green about this lol.

I am as green as they come too, but that stock spool I believe is chrome over bronze. One of the best advantages with aluminum is the weight savings, it is quite a bit lighter.

Using mostly wire line the chromed bronze is fine but a full spool of mono could spread out and wreck the spool, if I have been paying attention in class.

Rob