Best rod for Penn no. 49?

Started by Landon94, April 16, 2021, 09:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landon94

Thank you all for the help with rebuilding my Penn no 49. I am currently just waiting on the parts to arrive.

My new question is what rod would you think is best for this reel? Again, I will be using it for trolling for Spanish mackerel and rockfish, primarily, but occasionally, other stuff.

I rebuilt my grandfathers Penn no 9 in October and put it on a 6'2" Penn Rampage Jigging (medium/heavy) rod and it works great. this current reel came off of a Penn SS3160RW 6'6" rod, but is in very bad condition and am deciding to put the reel on a new rod. I am thinking something that is a similar weight rating and also a 6'6".

Ideas? I am a Penn guy but am not opposed to Shimano.

Cuttyhunker

I've fished them on all types/brands of boat rods, all good.  They look best to me on the older stuff, nothing fancy as they were always a journeyman's reel not luxury tackle, maybe a set up on an old Tru Temper ready to take out fishing for another 60 years. I've taken Spanish with them, the reels are way under-matched. Use the rod clamp, the one you have with the hole and slot was discontinued in 54 in favor of the 2 hole design I believe.  Some of the old single round nut reel seats can get loose, so pay attention to them out there.
Enjoy,
Bob
Doomed from childhood