Eagle Claw Rods

Started by jgp12000, April 18, 2021, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I have always liked the look of the yellow eagle claw rods and have caught many fish with them. My local sporting goods stores stopped carrying them, I looked at the EC site yesterday and they only had them to add to a wish list. A rod builder might can tell me do they make yellow graphite 1pc blanks?
If I could have a 6'6" customized rod made with cork handles and a metal reel seat to be an EC knockoff, with Fenwick Eagle guides (whatever they use)?

philaroman

EDIT:  just noticed yours is old US-made EC -- fine old glass!!!
if you like it, look all Wright & McGill (EC was just one product line)

yellow EC's are glass...  not great, but very good for the price
EDIT: that's modern EC from wally -- not same animal as old US-EC
if you want great yellow glass for a custom, find old Fen or Lami honey glass

jgp12000

Yes know they are glass any graphite yellow available is my question?

JasonGotaProblem

CRB color series graphite come to mind.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

jgp12000

thanks for the info philaroman and JasonGotaPenn, I would like to try to build one some day. I like mod fast rods but not too limber like some crappie poles. If either of you guys have ordered these blanks any suggestions for the novice rod builder will be appreciated? I do prefer cork handles and a metal reel seat for an old school look, I have never done any guide wrapping ,only heat shrink and hot glue for broken tips ...

philaroman

see edit above

never tried CRB, but believe it's good IM-6 which I like

Skeet Reese rods were Wright & McGill like EC AND yellow graphite,
but w/ modern (skeleton?) seat/handle...  not sure if there were any lighter models
https://www.ebay.com/sch/261028/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=skeet+reese+&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=12&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

also, for another yellow glass w/ metal seat budget option:
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-micro-lite-glass-spinning-rod

Cuttyhunker

Get a Jann's Netcraft catalog or hit their site if you can't find rod building goodies locally, they offer a pretty complete line.
Doomed from childhood

JasonGotaProblem

I built my first rod like a month and a half ago. Be careful, it's addictive. I'll likely never buy another factory rod. Next thing you know you're looking at a $200 factory rod like its a piece of junk because you know you can do better on $80 of materials or less. It's a very slippery slope.

Now is the fun part. You can make it look like an old EC, but you can make it perform far better. And thats where it gets addictive.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

on the other hand...  gotta' play Devil's Advocate to all ye graphite-lovin' kids  ;D
IMHO, old US-made W&M glass is well worth the most expensive guides you're willing to buy
since you like the handle, you could afford to get way more guides/options than you need,
to really micromanage for ideal size/spacing/number...  probably, end up
adding a guide or even two, which would diminish floppiness to some extent
for modern w/ vintage look, research Recoil Titanium