Gaff Handle

Started by joel8080, January 07, 2012, 06:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

I have a couple of really great gaffs, but I noticed that one of them the Foam hand grip (hard black foam) is starting to fall apart, What do you guys replace them with ?.

Tight Lines

Joel8080

Oceanside,California

Jimmer

On my salmon net I use foam pipe insulation wrapped with athletic tape and a knob of epoxy putty on the end. These fish don't go much over 20lb,  so I don't know if this would hold up gaffing big fish. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Tuna cord or net twine.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

inhotpursuit

For a nice professional finish i use x heat shrinkwrap and hot glue tape (hemming tape),wrap the gaff handle with three or four layers of hemming tape(available at most big box or craft stores),cut the x wrap to fit and carefully slide it over the tape,then heat shrink the x wrap to the gaff handle the process will also melt hemming tape and seal the  x wrap to the gaff,you could also use double walled pre glued heat shrink which is thicker and has a nice matt finish.Kenny.

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=fishing+rod+handle+x+heat+shrink&_sacat=0&_odkw=fishing+rod+handle&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/45mm-Adhesive-3-1-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Tube-Black-4FT-/320740358868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad9d7ad4

oldtiopaco

tuna cord or seine wrap .Hold down with epoxy.finish with two turkhead knot.
The longer the wrap the better.Better holding and will last years.

kamuwela

cord and epoxy is how we do it

fishnazzi

replace the handle with calcutta..........if you feel you need a "handle"........bull dog friction tape a small holding wrap at top and bottom of tape.........
Fishing as often as possible with my son and as many veterans as I can.