Setting up Your Workbench

Started by foakes, April 29, 2021, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This is a good value on one of the most useful items needed for reel work, shop work, or just a general workbench for your garage or hobby room.

Just the framework you need to attach your top surface of choice.

It is important to be able to get your legs under a table in a comfortable sitting position when working on detailed projects.

What I have done with these is — install a solid one piece  3/4" white Melamine top — then trim out the edges with a hardwood like Oak.

Another option I have in the outer wood shop — is one of these that is 10' X 3'.  I use it as a general assembly table for woodworking or anything else needed.  I just screwed a 3/4" plywood top to the framework — nailed a 1/4" top sheet of Masonite over that — trimmed the edged after nailing with a quarter round router bit with a ball bearing guide to make a smooth edge — treated it with a quick rubbed-on application of Boiled Linseed Oil — and it lasts for decades.  I generally reapply the Linseed oil every year or two.  Keeps it looking fresh as well as protected.

Nice to have a bench that things can be stored under — as well as a useful work area.

This comes out to about $187 with tax and shipping — plus the top you decide on.

Limitless possibilities on this basic framework that just works well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I need to hire a housekeeper to clean my workbench.  Every time I look at it I get discouraged and go take a nap. or at least wait until the idea passes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Mic

Quote from: Dominick on April 30, 2021, 06:52:24 PM
I need to hire a housekeeper to clean my workbench.  Every time I look at it I get discouraged and go take a nap. or at least wait until the idea passes.  Dominick

Ahhhh Beauty Sleep

The whole world looks more beautiful, every time I wake up

Right there with ya Dom

Built a frame like that a few years ago out of 1/2 gas pipe Fred. Pretty quick way to make a work bench

oc1

I find it quicker and easier to build another bench.

Gfish

Can you bolt a vise to the "melamine" top?, or do you godda support it with some steel?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Depends on how heavy and how much stress you are wrenching on the vise.  A small hobby vise should be OK.

Anything larger should have at least a 3/4" plywood backing underneath to spread the load/stress — if not a 1/4" steel backup plate.

There are literally as many options and ways to make workbenches — as there are folks to use them.

For me, with reel work — 3/4" melamine is an easy clean up, visible surface, relatively cheap, and lasts forever.

I need a bench that I can get my legs under — with a good swivel stool with a good backrest — lower rungs for my feet to rest on — and easy to reach everything needed for a reel repair job without getting up or off the stool.

Tried other ways — the fatigue factor is too intense when concentrating on a job.

The (2) 8' X 3' reel benches in the upstairs and the barn reel rooms — are 42" high — so I can get under them and have the work closer to my eyes without hunching over.

Other ways, and, other benches will work for many folks.

The first bench I used, was an old Navy surplus 60" X 30" grey solid steel recruiters desk that weighed around 200 pounds.  Paid $25 at the Veterans Thrift — used it for 5 years — moved it out to the wood shop for an extra work area — then gave it away to a retired Naval Submarine Commander — and she is still using it in her office.  It was plenty good.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on April 30, 2021, 08:20:12 PM

I find it quicker and easier to build another bench.

I tried that.  It does not work unless you don't do many projects or have lots of room for benches.

Brewcrafter

Here are a couple of ideas that I came up with in my very space limited work area.  And as Fred said, this is more of a hobby vise and hobby grinder, but this idea is a space saver for me and maybe it will give others ideas to help them or that they can improve on for their own areas.  I would not do this with more serious models.  I had a talented welder friend who would work for "universal trade goods" (ie - beer) weld me up basically a hitch receiver on 1/4" plate, and he made me two "pedestals" that I use for my hobby vise and for my 5" 1970's vintage bench grinder.  The setup allows me to swap them out, or remove them entirely to allow me to have larger projects overhang the workbench.  If you look closely at the bench grinder photo, I have old offset press printing press blankets that I use for padding/vibration dampening (old inner tube would work just as well).  Just and idea for anyone that is looking to try and maximize the utility of whatever space they have. - john