Broke 5:1 Jigmaster gears

Started by Decker, May 06, 2021, 03:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Jerry Brown also said to not do a lot of cross-winding when putting Spectra on a reel.  Aim to lay one wrap up against the previous wrap.  I did not know Jerry Brown and only know that from what I've learned here.  I think Lee was the one conveying the information.  That always confused my intuition.  Line digging into the spool is a real pain in a casting reel.  If, while casting, you hit a spot where the line dug into the spool you will get a backlash.

I also heard that you should get the line tight enough that you cannot dig a fingernail into the spool and it should feel hard.  Don't remember where that came from.

MarkT

Decker, did you ever open it up and see what the gears look like?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Decker

Quote from: MarkT on May 09, 2021, 04:49:40 AM
Decker, did you ever open it up and see what the gears look like?

Not yet.  Will try to post pics this week.

Decker

Looks like my phone is not capable of getting a good enough photo.  Will try something different later.  Definitely I can see significant damage on the pinion, toward the ring.  There are also a few "marks" on the tops of some main gear teeth, but I'm not sure if it is badly damaged.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Were the bridge screws tight  ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Decker

Quote from: oldmanjoe on May 12, 2021, 09:24:25 PM
  Were the bridge screws tight  ?

Hand-tight, not loose at all.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Decker on May 12, 2021, 04:40:04 PM
Looks like my phone is not capable of getting a good enough photo.  Will try something different later.  Definitely I can see significant damage on the pinion, toward the ring.  There are also a few "marks" on the tops of some main gear teeth, but I'm not sure if it is badly damaged.

That gear set is not for JigMaster 500. It looks like that is a 505 gear set.

Decker

Quote from: Black Pearl on May 14, 2021, 01:52:55 AM

That gear set is not for JigMaster 500. It looks like that is a 505 gear set.

Thank you, Alan!  I did buy the reel second hand (not here). 

I'm guessing that the 505 gear in a 500 may have caused some misalignment.   Can someone elaborate on the difference?

Gfish

Here's a stock reel(s) side by side comparison Joe. 500 on left and a 505HS to the right. I did a comparison/contrast of the 2-models awhile back. The whole thread can be found in this sub-section. There are measurements for the gears, too. The 505 main was only 0.3mm bigger than the 500 main. The 500 pinion was 0.94mm larger than the the 505 pinion. Both pinions had 12 teeth.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

The bridges for the 500 & 505 are different. The center to center distance of the gears are different. It looks like the gears were not fully meshed because of that.      Rudy

mo65

Interesting...looks like being the wrong gears plus the misalignment by hard cranking was enough to fowl things up. Probably with those gears in a 505, even the hard cranking wouldn't have caused them to bind. Looks like I was on the right track when I said it appeared to be a freak accident. My question is...how did you fit that gear in a 500 Joe? I tried this once and had to grind that lip off the 505 gear. It then would fit, but was really rough. Like Rudy said about the bridge differences, not the same alignment. I still think you'll be just fine with the 4:1 gears. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Wow, how much we learn when things go wrong!  My thought is, I should check the bridge part number next.   Thanks for all of the info and direction, guys!

Rancanfish

I have a bunch of stock jiggy stuff if you need it Joe.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

Yeah, thanks for reminding me Rudy, the bridge-plate for the 500 is 3.3mm narrower than that a the 505/6 HS. Can't recall, but I think I tried to switch 'em out and it was a no-go for the screw alignment.
So, pinion ona 500 aprox. 1mm larger in dia., main gear 0.3mm smaller on the 500, bridge-plate bigger across on the HS reel by 3.3mm. Hmmm, need more coffee to consider what, how & why the gears got damaged. Too many varibles for me.
How's the frame strength Joe? Could it torque pretty easy?
I really like the idea of the old 5-60 gear reels having the head-plate bushing extend into those big ol' pinions. Sure wouldn't wanna reel up from 300 ft. at 2.5:1, though...