Old Trick for old Penns

Started by rotfish, April 10, 2009, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotfish

For those who don't juggle jigmasters, squidders, and Senators often, I have a trick that might be useful. Whenever reassembling the bridge assembly/gear stack back into the side plate it is not uncommon for the drag discs to fall out of there appropriate position, and in some reels allow the dog spring to become dislodged. Generally speaking drag grease will hold things in place well, but dry drags are trickier. For a long time I have used this little trick to alleviate that problem. Slide a piece of tygon tubing, or even easier, a simple vacuum cap over the shaft(gear sleeve) so it snuggly holds the drag stack tight to the gear. Now you can turn the whole assembly upside down without ever dropping anything. Penn provided such a big hole in the side plate that the vacuum cap will easily pass right through. Simply pull it off once the bridge screws are all tight.

Vacuum caps are available in any good hardware store in 1/32" to 1/16" steps.

Seem a little silly, but this little trick saved a lot of frustration once I figured it out. I have never seen anyone post anything, so I thought I would share it. Thanks Alan for the informative site.

I cant figure our how to attach pictures, if anyone knows the trick, please inform me.

Thanks,
KP

alantani

Alan, I posted a little trick you may or may not find interesting. I couldn't attach pics to the post, so I thought I would send them to you via e-mail.  Thanks for a wonderful, informative website.  Oh yeah, please invest in a small arbor press. The drill press method is just plain painful to look at. Ha ha.  KP

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkD

Great idea I had a little trouble tonight with that problem. Will have to get some. I know this is an old post but I figure I respond to it and maybe it can help some others.

harryk3616

hi   rot fish     i've been using thin tubing for awhile same senario as yours, with fat sausage arthritic fingers it was a burden installing the gear  train, it worked fantastic for me also.  i first used an o-ring and had to pick it out with a curved awl, the tubing  or your vaccum cap is the way to go. i install the two top bridge screws with no full thread and the screw that the dog goes on, i hold them in place with a good masking tape, after i get the bridge and dog in place i peel back the tape and snug up the screws, pull the tube off and install the 4th. screw, then tighten them all up.  another trick, if the dog has a spring, i put a dab of grease in the slot where the spring goes, if you mess up installing the spring in place,  the spring won't go flying, not to be found. if the tubing is too thick, you can shave it down with a utility knife.  take care      harryk

alantani

yeah, funny.  the guy decided that he didn't want to stick around any more and deleted his membership.  not sure what was up with that.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!