Danielsson/Loop Fly Feel 2W

Started by Ken_D, January 10, 2012, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Hio, Folks....anyone have experiance with this most unfriendly reel. It's set up to be a shop-rat, with
components not serviceable by the owner. It sounds like a cement mixer, because several of the 6 ball bearings are now shot.

And these things don't come away without a whack of special tooling at a skillfull person's disposal.

Hoping to avoid sending it back to the factory, that a reader over here can assist, or point me in another direction.  Thanks, KD.

alantani

i know nothing about fly reels.  i put a pair of carbon fiber drag washers in to one just for laughs.  it actually worked great.  it doesn't look like there is that much too it....... 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NIN

The drag knob is held on with hidden Allen screws. The schematics are on their webpage, they are also hidden. Click on the reel model you have, then click on manual on the right side of the page. Your left side bearing is probably full of salt and rust. Corrosion X will be your friend. When i contacted customer service two years ago they were very helpfull.

Ken_D

Thanks, Folks.... too modern. I like those new ones. But: This is the reel.  I have contacted a fellow in Oregon (Archuleta's Reel Works), and a fellow in Alaska who have the technology.

NIN

Killerbug

I have used the 2W for four years now, and it's the best fly reel I have ever fished.  Maintenance is requirred on regular basis though if used in saltwater.  You can order a new bearing kit here. Very important is not to lever the tension of the spool when storing, if not you will destroy the plastic belts on the bearings. This will leads to a grungy feel, even with sound bearings.

http://danielsson-flyreels.ehandel.net/index.php?object_id=language&action=select&params%5Blanguage_id%5D=3
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

That older style of Loop reel is high coveted by serious big game fly fishermen.  Ive never heard of one going bad.  I always cringe when I see fly reels getting submerged by the angler on t.v. or in print.  It seems to be a ritual with fly anglers.  The gentleman at just-reels.com can help. He is an encyclopedia of fly reel info, especially older, high end fly reels.

Ken_D

All three of the inside bearings were destroyed. The 3 on the outside were marginal. The "shoes" on 4/6 had flat spots. The innner and outer raceways on the spool were scored. After a little tlc from Arch, all will be well.

It's not my reel. The owner will be advised on proper care etc.  Being a Canuck, I fish Islander mooching and fly reels.