TLD15 - Drag Issues

Started by Marlinmate, June 01, 2021, 02:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

I just read Alan's sticky about the TLD15 but it didn't address my issue.

Got one that is stumping me.....With the drag lever off, I've got great freespool.  Put the reel back together, and max out (tighten all the way) the pre-program dial....I've got very little drag and yes the lever is hard to push up....but still no drag.  I know this isn't how you fish it, but I've got little to no drag, with the program dial cranked down, and the lever on strike.

What would cause this?    The cam looks very worn down.  Could it be a combination of worn out drag lever and cam?

What gives?
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

RowdyW

Cam indexed wrong?? If it worked before it should work now. Drag lever must be in off position before turning adjustment knob each time.       Rudy

boon

Is the hole in the middle of the cam still a square? Or gone round? Honestly if you've pushed the drag lever up with the program dial maxed out you probably now have a round hole.

EDIT: Basically what happens is that if the program dial is wound in too much the cam rotates around the end of the spool shaft, reaming out the soft brass, instead of sliding against the ramp, pulling the spool against the drag plate.

Bryan Young

If you tighten the pre-set dial in freespool position, eventually, you will loose freespool. If you don't, then you have a problem. I cannot think of what it could be. I draw a blank right now. Need photos
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marlinmate

See attached for pics......the hole doesn't appear to wallowed out?   but the "cleats" on the cam appear to be worn down??

Gfish

An extreamly long-shot, but the first time I reassembled mine, I put the cam in upside-down.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

The lever doesn't look to good.

handi2

Another rare problem is that the main gear is moving or spinning on the shaft of the main gear. I have seen this once that had me stumped for days.

Look at the top of the main gear. You can see where it is peened on the shaft. If the shaft has moved thats it.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marlinmate

thanks for the suggestions. I'll play more with it tonight

My gut feeling is....the cam is worn down, and has also worn down the drag lever....so in essence...the reel doesn't "ramp up" to engage the drag.

I'll keep messin.

If Shimano will ever answer the phone, I'll order some parts...40 minutes on hold

Marlinmate

I tore back into this to figure out what was up.  Handi was onto something.  The shaft of the main gear is definitely spinning. Almost like the weld broke loose.

Guess i need to order one of those too.  

Bryan Young

Quote from: Marlinmate on June 03, 2021, 01:44:23 AM
I tore back into this to figure out what was up.  Handi was onto something.  The shaft of the main gear is definitely spinning. Almost like the weld broke loose.

Guess i need to order one of those too.  

KEITH!!! KEITH!!! KEITH!!! KEITH!!! KEITH!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D