A time for every season

Started by Makule, June 06, 2021, 08:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

It took me decades to build up my collection of Pfleuger Templar and Atlapac reels.  There was only one Atlapac, and about 14 Templars, both the 1419 3/4 and the 1420 1/2 sizes.  The larger "500" size, there were four, and the rest were the "400" size.  Three were "extended" versions (the 1419 3/4 made as wide as the 1420 1/2 by using the latter bars and reel seats and making the spool as wide as the 1420 1/2 size).  Over time the number of usable reels dwindled to nine as parts were taken from some to repair others.
Realizing I was never going to use the Atlapac (it was new, in the box), I gave it to the Publisher/Editor/Owner of Hawaii Fishing news, Chuck Johnston, some years back.  Chuck will not use it either, but he'll make sure it moves on to a good home after his ownership.
Last week or some time this week, I also came to the conclusion that I would never use the other Templars again and decided to sell them (except one).  That was one of the smaller reels that I extended to make the in-between size "extended" 400.  Took me many hours of painstaking work to get it done.  Precision work on the lathe to less than .001" and not having any training or experience in doing any lathe work previously.  Took two weeks to do what it would take a trained machinist an hour to do.
Yesterday I let people know that I was selling the reels.  Today, one guy bought two, including the one that I wasn't planning on selling (the price was right).  Later, a couple of brothers came and bought five more.  Now there are only two left.  Before selling, I'll do a rough cleaning of the outside to make them look purdy so they'll maybe get a better price.
Never imagined I'd sell the reels but it is true that there is a time for every season.  The season of using those reels in my life has passed.  It is now a different season, one propelled by the Everol reels from Daron (Sharkhunter).
I can foresee the close of another season during which I used the Shimano Beastmaster reels.  I know there is a certain gentleman from the bottom of this globe who may be interested in them and he just may get lucky.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Reeltyme

A great, interesting self history. Thank you for your post and sharing your story. On a side note, if you have a 400 Templar left that you would like to sell, I would be interested. I am missing the 400 & 200 to round out my collection of them.
Randy McConnell
"Reeltyme"

Makule

The two left are the 500 size.

Quote from: Reeltyme on June 06, 2021, 10:27:53 AM
A great, interesting self history. Thank you for your post and sharing your story. On a side note, if you have a 400 Templar left that you would like to sell, I would be interested. I am missing the 400 & 200 to round out my collection of them.
Randy McConnell
"Reeltyme"
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.