EatMyTackle H346

Started by PacRat, June 16, 2021, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PacRat

Have any of you seen these advertised and wondered what was 'under the hood'? I was curious and decided to order one. They look so much like a Newell that I was assuming that parts might be interchangeable. So far, that does NOT seem to be the case. I did get called away before I finished but me first impression as that these reels are very similar to Newells and share things like the drop-out bridge assembly and basic aesthetics but are VERY different. This reel was producing 30 seconds of free-spool before disassembly.

Here's what came in the box. The reel came spooled wit 550 yards of 30 lb mono. There was a schematic, a neoprene cover, and a wrench/screwdriver tool (but the wrench feature doesn't fit).
An interesting thing to note is that the box claims 55 lbs drag.

The drag system in this reel is called 'thrust drag'...more on this later.
The following photos we taken during the first disassembly:

As you can see, the anti-reverse ratchet is separate from the gear-sleeve and is stamped rather than machined. More on the 'Triple Thruster' drag system in the next post.

PacRat

Okay, here are some details of the Triple Thruster drag. The box claims 55 lbs and I have not tested to anywhere near that but it seems pretty smooth at 12 lbs.

Notice that there are no ear slots inside the main gear. There is a carbon washer (dry) under the main gear and another (dry also) inside the main gear and under the Triple Thruster assembly.

The Triple Thruster functions like drum brakes rather than the disc brakes that are so familiar to us.

The brake shoe material looks like some sort of plastic but I didn't test it at all and don't know anything about replacements. I'm assuming the entire assembly will require replacement if it wears out. I did pull one of the shoe surfaces off while pulling it to see how it woks. I'm not certain if they attach with adhesive or if they just sort of snap into place like a dove-tail. There's not any instruction manual included.

I ran out of time and had to button it up so I haven't had a chance to compare the internals to Newell. The main gear OD is larger than a Newell 300 series main gear. Also, overall frame diameter is larger than a 300 Series but Smaller than a 500 Series. The clicker assembly looks like Newell from the outside but is completely different on the inside. The inner rings have plastic (composite?) inserts that attach with small screws so they are more complex than Newell. I'll do side-by-side photos when I get around to a pre-use service before fishing it.
In all fairness this reel is brand-new and not broken in at all. I do suspect that the 55 lb drag claim is an error on the packaging. I did pull on a spring scale a little bit and 12 lb felt pretty smooth. It ramped up to 20 lb real quick and the line broke so it was probably locked at 20 and that's where the 30 lb mono let go. I'll spool braid on top and find out what it will really do. I would love to hear Sal's opinion on this drag system. Seems like there's not a lot of friction surface and I wonder how hot it gets. I read reviews that state that it handled 25 lb yellowtails. I would love to see photos of how the drag looks after a good work-out.

Wompus Cat

Very interesting concept in you have the conventional Flat friction application and then the Cylindrical 3 shoe brake which is pretty darn neat as it would apply equal contact all round where your 2 shoe system the front shoe does all the work .
I bet it would go 55 lbs and those shoes may be some sort of ceramic? Which would actually fade a lot of Heat.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Thanks very interesting, any idea were it was made, if you can get schematics & parts list, thanks for posting cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

PacRat

I don't think the brake shoes are ceramic as they flex a bit. I had to do this to get the shoe to snap back into the holder.
The drag ramps up to 12 lbs pretty smoothly but then gets hard to turn the star and the curve seems to go straight up from there. I ordered it with 30 lb mono (complementary) as I thought it was equivalent to a Newell 300 Series, It's actually a little larger. I don't have a 400 Series to compare it to.

-Mike

PacRat

Here's the schematic and parts list. I've also posted it in the schematics section. No other literature came with it. I can't find any marking of origin but I would assume China.

Wompus Cat

The descrip on website says 20 lbs. Max Drag. ??? Regular price is 129.00
They gots a Daddy's Day sale on these for 99 bux a piece ,Says free shipping on 75 dollar order and they will spool it FREE  with your choice of mono or Braid in several  sizes they have  then give you 1000 points for joining their deal which adds anuuder 10 bux off  so total price with all that is  89  bux. total.
Hell I spill that much in the Bar
......soooooooooooooo

I got one a coming

Thanks Mike for the info .

nelz

Gotta give 'em credit for coming out with something new with this drag design. Love the logo.  ;D

PacRat

I completely agree with the 20 lbs max drag as stated on the website. The 55 lbs on the box has to be a mistake. I had mine buttoned down and the drag star felt bottomed out. My biggest concern is what will future availability of the Triple Thruster drag insert be if this company doesn't make it. I'm going to contact them regarding spares and cost.
-Mike

Wompus Cat

Quote from: PacRat on June 17, 2021, 02:36:41 AM
I completely agree with the 20 lbs max drag as stated on the website. The 55 lbs on the box has to be a mistake. I had mine buttoned down and the drag star felt bottomed out. I'm retrospect I would have had them spool it with 40 lb mono. I don't believe they were offering braid when I ordered a couple of weeks back. The gears feel nice and smooth and will get better with use. My big concern is what will future availability of the Triple Thruster drag insert be if this company doesn't make it. I'm going to contact them regarding spares and cost.
-Mike

Yup the wording on the box and the paperwork yields to have been interpreted but from Where...lol
Doesn't  reeely matter as I was impressed with your tear down and got it free shipping and Free line and 40 bux off .

They have a few Reels listed  out of stock .

I remember a small start up car company back in the late 60's that sold for around 1200 dollars with out  A/C . A/C was an additional 1200 ...lol  and I went to school on them in San Antonio Texas.
The engine in it was a 4 cylinder water cooled Horizontally opposed and had a manual five speed transmission.
People said it would never make it .......... Fuji HEAVY INDUSTRIES which is known as
SUBARU Today.

Maybe the EatMyTackle Company is to be. 

Wompus Cat

I contacted them about spare parts last night and got a reply today in the affirmative that they do have parts  o I asked for pricing on the drag assembly and some spare discs . and also asked if they would tell me where they were built  Waiting for reply.

nelz

Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 17, 2021, 09:43:13 PMI asked for pricing on the drag assembly and some spare discs

How about those brake pads?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: nelz on June 17, 2021, 09:51:35 PM
Quote from: Wompus Cat on June 17, 2021, 09:43:13 PMI asked for pricing on the drag assembly and some spare discs

How about those brake pads?

will ask but the only thing in the schematic is #17  which is the assembly .
Don't show no shoes  :(

PacRat

These are what I was refering to as 'brake shoes'.

I accidentally pulled one off while I was checking out the Tripple Thruster drag assembly (Part no. 17). It felt like it may have been glued in place so I was going to re-secure it with superglue. It feels like plastic but I have no idea what kind.

Here's another view. It will snap into the drag assembly without glue and hopefully it will remain captive and not become loose in there. It may swell and shrink with heat and wear down over time. We'll just have to catch some big fish to find out.

-Mike

PacRat

Here are some better photos