Solvents ?

Started by Mic, January 12, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

I've been using lighter fluid for two reasons-efficiency and the fact that it comes in a spill proof container.

But the fumes are  just too much-will have to check for 409 here soon-Thanks.

Dominick

Quote from: Mic on January 13, 2012, 02:03:40 PM

I'm gonna take apart all the reels I rebuilt and re-greased w/bearing grease this weekend and clean them up and put the right grease in them! Gonna camp out in the welding shop and enjoy our time together!
Mic
Mic:  Just to be sure, when you say bearing grease you are talking about Yamaha Marine grease I hope.  When I hear bearing grease I picture the stuff that is pumped into wheel bearings.  That stuff is too think and tacky.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Mic

Quote from: Pescachaser on January 13, 2012, 06:08:16 PM
Quote from: Mic on January 13, 2012, 02:03:40 PM

I'm gonna take apart all the reels I rebuilt and re-greased w/bearing grease this weekend and clean them up and put the right grease in them! Gonna camp out in the welding shop and enjoy our time together!
Mic
Mic:  Just to be sure, when you say bearing grease you are talking about Yamaha Marine grease I hope.  When I hear bearing grease I picture the stuff that is pumped into wheel bearings.  That stuff is too think and tacky.  Dominick

Well,
That's why I'm going back and doing it again. I needed something good to get that damd bearing grease the hell out of my fishing reels! I ran out of Penn Blue Grease some time back and didn't think it was that big a deal! See what 6 1/2 years of High School will do for ya!

I'm on the right track now, thanks to Alan and the rest of yawl!

broadway

Mic,
      I haven't noticed any etching on the metals, but I don't let it sit on metal... just really ugly side plates.  When I do use it on metal (gears, pinions, everything metal) I squirt it directly on the metal, and use elbow grease till it is totally removed, then I grease when all the 409 is gone. You probably don't have to, however I do use a q-tip to get in the nooks and crannies of the side plate and other parts I'm cleaning EVERY inch of ;) 
Dom

josa1

I've tried a lot of different things.  Some of the stuff mentioned above is pretty agressive.

The best I've found is this product by Klean-Strip:

Paint Clean-Up

Klean-Strip's Product Number is QKPC94001.  It is manufactured in Memphis.

Claims from Klean-Strip about this product that I believe are correct.

*Ideal for cleaning plastics and metals.  (Seems to clean and brighten plastics without doing any damage, while doing an excellent job of removing grease, salt corrosion and such)

*Also good for degreasing tools.  (I've found this product to be an excellent degreaser.  It seems to work well on both synthetic and natural greases)

*Safer to use than paint thinner.  (It's not nearly as volitile as many products I've used.)

This stuff is available at Hardware World for about $4.00 for a quart.  I think you'll be happy if you give it a try.

The web site for Hardware World is: www.hardwareworld.com/Qt-Paint-Cleanup-pGJXLTK

josarafa401

LTM

Guys,

What's the difference between carb and brake cleaner as a solvent?

Leo

suitekids

Quote from: LTM on March 30, 2012, 05:47:06 PM
Guys,

What's the difference between carb and brake cleaner as a solvent?

Leo

Hi Leo, most of the time the formulations are a quite similar, but most of the time Carb cleaner leaves a small trace of petroleum complexes behind, but for the most part Brake cleaners formulation leaves no traces of that because of possible brake lining failure, I personally use the brake cleaner, and its usually cheaper, I get it from Advanced Auto for $3.29 for a 16oz. spray can on sale, I usually have 6 cans on hand for all kinds of mechanical cleaning, cheap stuff and it works very well, but is a skin irritant so be careful

alantani

my local auto parts store was out of the cheap carb cleaner, but they did have the brake cleaner on sale.  i grabbed a case of that and it works GREAT!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Quote from: inhotpursuit on January 12, 2012, 09:16:28 PM
I use diesel starter fluid (ether) don't sniff it ;)
I sniff it.  It's cheaper than wine.  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

suitekids

Sniffing it is good  ;)

usncporet

How about the lovely wifes bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap? I used some last night to clean up a newly acquired Penn 500 and it worked great! A bit of elbow grease with a nylon brush and I got the sideplates as clean as could be.
Soaked the plates in some warm, sudsy water and couldn't be happier.

kenwahoo

I use petrol/gas. It's cheap as you just siphon some from your car. Dont smoke around it though.

alantani

i would strongly recommend against using lighter fluid, kerosene or gasoline as a cleaning solvent.  roger (our resident firefighter) would probably agree.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

x2. I believe there's an adage about 'playing with fire...'  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

suitekids

lighter fluid = 98% naptha = synonomous at 100th the price of Zippo or Ronson