Solvents ?

Started by Mic, January 12, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Can somebody recommend a good solvent to break down grease. I've tried Denatured Alcohol and it leaves a lot to be desired!

Looking for something safe for the newer Penn Graphite side plates and nylon bushings.........

Thanks in advance, Mic

kamuwela

i myself like wd40, you can buy it by the gallon at home depot for $14. i put my parts in a household strainer and place it a tupperware container. when im done i take out the strainer and put a lid on the tupperware. a good parts cleaning brush from your local auto store works great. some carb or break cleen to remove the excess on the bearings and its ready to re lube and re assemble.

alantani

i've been using carb cleaner.  in a couple of cases, i damaged the thumb bars on various shimano reels, so i am more careful with those. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mic

Y'awl Rock!

I knew there had to be something besides Break Clean out there!

Thanks!
Mic

redsetta

I use the same approach as Kamu, but with white spirits instead.
It's of a low toxicity (both in terms of fumes and skin irritation), is relatively cheap and very effective.
I'll generally finish with a quick spray of WD40 (particularly in any hard-to-reach places), before drying thoroughly and re-greasing.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

inhotpursuit

I use diesel starter fluid (ether) don't sniff it ;)

Alto Mare

I use Paslode tool cleaner, love that stuff. Don't hold your breath waiting for that bearing to stop spinning after you hit it with the Paslode cleaner ;). It also degreases other parts nicely.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: inhotpursuit on January 12, 2012, 09:16:28 PM
I use diesel starter fluid (ether) don't sniff it ;)
Why not?  I like the heady feeling ;D.  It feels like surfing (underwater).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

broadway

For sideplates use 409.  I used it on over 80 senators last year alone, and not a problem. I squirt two paper towels about 4 times each, so I can do both sides at the same time.  Don't squirt directly on because it will sit in the crevices of the reel so when you re-grease it will also break down the new grease.  It hasn't harmed warped any of my plates, and it's not gonna get ya kicked out of the house cause there is no noxious chemicals ;)
PS- stay away from alcohol on the plates... I warped a 118 plate with it. Not a cheap mistake!  >:(
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Personal preference is aerosol brake cleaner. For really tarry, thick crud I will soak it overnight in acetone.
Beware of all fumes from whatever you use. Zin is much better for "the buzz." :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

It's not to say who's right or wrong, but why would you guys use these wicked solvents for the side plates?  I've come across some unbelievably cruddy reels/ side plates from these charter captains, and 409 has cleaned every drop off with minimal elbow grease.  If it's really wicked on the inside like this photo: remove as much as possible with a paper towel,  squirt the heck out of the side plate (let the 409 pool), let sit long enough for a smoke, go back and it has broken down enough where you can wipe it all away.  Your house won't stink, you won't pass out from it, no dried out/ burnt hands, your hands get a good degreasing from working on the reel, and the side plate will be clean.  Now you can take a toothbrush like Alan's "ratty ole' brush" and do under your nails while you're at it ;D ...I beat you to it Rob and Dominick ;)
Dom

inhotpursuit

Broadway i've used degreasers such as 409  but i found that it etched the bare metals and the bearings,do you dilute the 409?
Alto Mare are there two kinds of paslode cleaners the only one i could find  says don't use with plastics the one that you use says safe with plastic

Alto Mare

Dom, looks like tha reel was never touched in the inside, I'm sure that grease was blue at some point.

Inhotpursuit, you're right but most of their other products are oils. Get yourself that aerosol can, like the one that I use and prepare yourself to be amazed.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mic

Yawl are BAD ####!

Just think, 6 1/2 years of High School and I could have saved that and learned everything I really needed to know right here!

I'm gonna take apart all the reels I rebuilt and re-greased w/bearing grease this weekend and clean them up and put the right grease in them! Gonna camp out in the welding shop and enjoy our time together!

Now I got to figure out what to get the wife for her birthday tomorrow. 5 gal bucket of 409! Ha ha!. That will keep me camped out in the welding shop for about two years!

Thank for all yawl's input and help!

Mic